Students Speak About Smoking

In these times of "going green" and counting calories, some people have embraced healthier ways of living.

Many students hit the ground running - literally - around campus, despite the intense Southeast Alabama temperatures.

Why, then, do some students continue to smoke?

"Pretty much all of my friends smoke," said Benjamin Coker, a junior in social science education. "I think a lot of people start smoking for social reasons."

Many of Coker's high school friends smoked, also.

"I can't speak for everyone, but a lot of my friends back then did it just to break the rules," he said.

Joey Burns, a sophomore in supply and chain management, gave other possibilities.

"I think some people think it's a cool thing to do and eventually get hooked... or think it's nasty," Burns said.

Samantha Smith, a nonsmoker and senior majoring in early elementary special education, suggested a different reason.

"It's probably just something to do," she said.

Smith has four or five friends who smoke.

"I just leave them alone," she said. "It's their choice."

Although he and his family abstain from smoking, Burns has 10 friends who do smoke, he said.

Coker began smoking at age 20 after he came to college.

"I was hanging out with some friends one time, and a buddy of mine asked me to hold (his or her) cigarette," Coker said, "so I decided to try it and liked it."

He smokes about seven or eight cigarettes a day, he said.

However, none of Coker's family members smoke.

"I got busted smoking outside my house on Christmas Eve this year," he said, "and that didn't go over very well."

Coker's family has good reason to dislike his recently developed habit.

Smoking can cause a higher incidence of heart disease, pulmonary problems, emphysema and cancers of the mouth, said Kevin Huggins, assistant professor in nutrition and food science.

"Older individuals probably suffer the greatest risks of smoking simply because they have been smoking for a longer amount of time," said Huggins.

Children exposed to secondhand smoke over long periods can develop asthma, he said.

When subjected to smoke during critical stages after conception, unborn children can exhibit poor growth and development resulting in multiple kinds of birth defects, Huggins said.

"I understand some people don't want to be around it, especially in restaurants," Coker said, "and I think that's fair."

Chrisavi Grimes, a sophomore in secondary education/sciences, said she avoids smoking for health reasons.

"I think it's good that many public places have banned smoking since families are coming through," Grimes said, "and it's obviously not a healthy thing for them to have to be around all the time."

Share and discuss “Students Speak About Smoking” on social media.