Work ethic: Do you have it?

Work ethic is a good thing. But sometimes it can be a person's downfall.

Take for example how often I find myself with more than one job.

My plans for this summer started out as carefree and jobless.

And I was thrilled.

Then along the way I picked up chaperoning for a workshop, being the editor at this here paper, working the register at the AU Bookstore, babysitting a few kids and writing for the Opelika Observer.

Sadly this isn't a new symptom of my Type A personality.

I was the kid in high school who was the president of every club and all around know-it-all.

Hopefully I've grown out of the know-it-all stage, I'll ask my friends later, but I'm still too often overexerting myself.

How do other students seem to find themselves with an afternoon available to lay by the pool or take vacations?

In no way am I complaining about any of my responsibilities, because I love them all, but I think I have a problem.

I'm not comfortable until I'm booked solid, until I can't find time to eat lunch.

As I type this my half eaten Chick-fil-A meal is sitting beside me. It was my lunch, and it's 3:52 p.m. That's probably not a good thing.

Most days I find myself asking, "Where did this day go?" The answers are the depressing thing.

So, starting this summer I'm going to find more time to do random "college kid" stuff.

Because let's face it, I only have a year and a half left. I need to get a move on and spend as many lazy summer afternoons as I can reading books and watching television.

After I graduate, I won't have any time for that. When I get into the "real world," I'm told, my days will become dreadfully predictable and filled with work.

Share and discuss “Work ethic: Do you have it?” on social media.