Three Auburn Football Players Make All-SEC Coaches Preseason Team

Three Auburn football players were named to the SEC Coaches Preseason All-SEC Coaches' Team on July 16. Antonio Coleman and Lee Ziemba were named to the second team, while Ben Tate made third team.

Florida had the most players make the team with 16, LSU had 10 and Alabama and Georgia each had nine.

Ziemba, a junior offensive tackle majoring in history, said he feels lucky to have made second team two years in a row.

"It's preseason and all that really matters is postseason," Ziemba said. "I'm hoping that I can live up to the expectations."

After starting 25 games over the last two seasons, Ziemba said he feels honored to be among the top SEC athletes, but he is focusing more on improving his game.

"It makes me feel good, and I'm striving every day to be at that level, but once you get there, you are never satisfied at where you're at," Ziemba said. "There's always room for improvement. I just keep working hard every day to try to get to the level that I need to play at and use God's gifts to the best of my ability."

Although Ziemba said it was an honor to make the coach's team, the outcome of this fall's season is what is weighing on his mind.

"I'm very thankful, but I'd rather us win all our games," Ziemba said. "It's a team thing. That's what football is all about."

Ziemba said his teammates and coaches played a role in his success as a player.

"From the guys in the weight room pushing us, to running next to someone on the team, being with them every day and watching them work hard is an inspiration for me to get the best out of my practice," Ziemba said.

Antonio Coleman, a senior defensive end majoring in education and already with a degree in criminology, said being a fifth year senior makes his teammates look to him for leadership. He said he agreed with Ziemba that the team and coaches made an impact on his football career.

"When I have the players I've been playing with all along and the coaching staff, that definitely encourages me," Coleman said. "Without them I probably wouldn't be here."

Coleman said he feels honored to have made the team, but he is more about playing the game and having fun.

"It's just about me getting out there and playing football," Coleman said. "It really doesn't matter until the end of the season. I'm still going to be the same person and play to the best of my ability as I've always done."

Senior running back Ben Tate agreed the postseason team is what matters. Starting his last season in the fall, Tate said he has mixed emotions.

"I like being at Auburn, but the end is coming, and I know I won't get to wear the Auburn uniform anymore," Tate said.

Tate, majoring in criminology, said being chosen for the team serves as motivation to work harder at improving his overall game for the fall. Tate said he feels confident about next season and the team.

"I have a good feeling going into the season," Tate said. "We just have that fire and the will to win. The atmosphere is good and the guys want to be there."

Ziemba said he is excited about the new staff and looking forward to this year's season as well.

"We have a great group of coaches and it comes down to how we execute their plans and how well we take to their coaching and learn what they're trying to teach us," Ziemba said.

Auburn will kick off the 2009 season in Jordan-Hare Stadium Sept. 5 against Louisiana Tech.

Share and discuss “Three Auburn Football Players Make All-SEC Coaches Preseason Team” on social media.