Auburn athletes commit to community service projects

Forget trick plays or a new formation, community service is the best kept secret of Auburn Univeristy athletics.

"Most teams do a lot of community service that no one hears about because that's not the focus of the program" said Latisha Durroh, Director of Community Relations and Spirit for Auburn University. "The athletes just do it because they want to."

Last year, Auburn athletes took part in 70 unique community service events. This year, they have already participated in 44 events. This year's total community service participation is expected to far exceed last year's total because student-athletes perform most of their service work in the fall, Durroh said.

Extensive community service became an important focus for student-athletes in 2007. During a meeting with Athletics Director Jay Jacobs the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, a group that consists of athletes and representatives from each team, decided that they wanted to be known for community service and sportsmanship.

That decision led to the creation of the Auburn Pride Sportsmanship Initiative.

The initiative encourages coaches, athletes and supporters to spread sportsmanship and the good name of Auburn University both on and off the field of play, as stated in their mission statement. It is through this program that student-athletes participate in community service.

Service projects are performed in two different manners. An organization can request players or coaches to come visit them or a coach can set up team service projects through the Auburn Pride Sportsmanship Initiative.

Many teams frequently set up their own community service projects, such as the gymnastics team that created its own mentoring program to assist girls in the Auburn Community.

"Last year, the gymnastics team logged over 600 hours of community service" said Rachelle Thompson, the Associate Head Coach of the Gymnastics team. "Most of the time, I do not even have to make service mandatory. Girls will approach me with different opportunities that they hear about."

As part of the Gymnastics team's Big Sister program each athlete becomes a mentor to a young girl in the Auburn-Opelika area. The athletes then accompany their little sisters to their Gymnastics meets and give them advice on whatever else they may need.

"As coaches, we love seeing people get involved" Thompson said. "Our biggest priority is giving back to the community."

Another community outreach program that Auburn Athletes are involved in is the Miracle League of East Alabama. The Miracle League of East Alabama is part of the National Miracle League, a Baseball league designed for children and teenagers with physical or mental disabilities. Auburn football players and Assistant Head Coach Trooper Taylor visited the Miracle League and played Baseball with the participants, April 26 and May 31 of this year.

Rob Cox, the chairman of the Miracle Field of East Alabama, said he was thrilled with the outcome of those two days.

"I can't tell you what that day meant to those kids" Cox said. "Every kid, especially the teenagers, was enamored with the football players."

This year was the inaugural year for the Miracle League of East Alabama. Cox said that he hopes Auburn student-athletes continue to come back year after year.

"I would have them every week if I could. I truly can't even tell you what their participation means to these kids and this community," Cox said.

Share and discuss “Auburn athletes commit to community service projects” on social media.