UPC Block Party Events Move to Student Center

Students filled the Student Center ballroom last Thursday night, Aug. 20, for the University Program Council's Block Party.

Free food, inflatable games and goody bags were among the attractions which brought students to the event.

Holly Harrington, a senior in finance, and Julia Steinhilber, a freshman in graphic design, both said the free food got them to come out to the event this year.

However, the main goal of the Block Party has been to show freshmen how to get involved with more than 200 various organizations on Auburn's campus.

"It's important for freshmen to know what Auburn has to offer and how to get involved," said Nolyn Hartley, UPC member and a junior in international trade. "It's really just all about getting involved."

With so many organizations to choose from on Auburn's campus, it can be difficult for new students to find their niche.

Tables and booths with representatives from many of Auburn's organizations such as Student Alumni Association (SAA), University Program Council (UPC), the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs, Auburn Ignited and the Freshman Year Experience Office lined the ballroom helping new students get oriented with the many opportunities the campus has to offer.

Steinhilber said she heard about the Block Party through her sorority, and she would like to get involved with an organization if she found something that interested her.

UPC puts on the Block Party every year during Welcome Week helping students to have some fun during the chaotic first days of school. Hartley said they have been preparing for the event for about a month.

Welcome Week 2009 took on the title "Lights, Camera, Auburn!" It included an outdoor showing of the movie "I Love You, Man," Trivia Night, Popsicles with President Jay Gogue and the Block Party.

This year, looming thunderclouds moved the Block Party from Cater Lawn into the Student Center Ballroom, even though Hartley said the staff prefers it to be outside because of all of the inflatable games.

The different setting did not deter students from coming out to enjoy the inflatable Twister, hot dogs, chicken fingers, music from the Ryan Kinder Band and free samples from local restaurants such as Hibachi Express, Wing Zone and TCBY.

UPC members enjoyed the event as well, filling goody bags with coupons, pens, notepads and information from many of the organizations who were represented at the event.

"I would definitely recommend it to incoming freshmen next year," Harrington said. "It seems like a great way to learn about getting involved with all of the organizations that are here because you can learn about getting involved in a new and exciting way."

Share and discuss “UPC Block Party Events Move to Student Center” on social media.