Auburn City Council Sept. 2

Members of the Auburn City Council organized themselves in the council chamber shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday. Roll was called and the Pledge of Allegiance was recited.

Mayor Bill Ham Jr. took pictures with Joseph Eckhardt, city employee of the month and member of the Auburn Water Resource Department.

Recognition was also given to Shona Griffith, a city finance information officer, who is now a Certified Government Accounting Technician (CGAT).

William Sport, an Auburn firefighter, could not be recognized for achieving his master of business administration in finance from Troy University, as he received a fire call early in the meeting.

Alcoholic beverage licenses were approved for Ping Du Fuji Sushi Bar, Tiger Package on S. College St., Tiger Package on E. Glenn Ave., Tiger Lounge and the Lexington.

A warrant purchase agreement was approved for the Frazer Lanier Company.

A motion was passed to close city streets for the 2009 Annual Downtown Trick-or-Treat on Thursday, Oct. 29. College St. will be closed from Thach Avenue to Glen Avenue and Magnolia Avenue from Wright Street to Gay Street.

This event will be held on Thursday because Auburn will play Ole Miss in football on Saturday and Auburn High School will play Riverside on Friday.

A motion was passed approving $25,000 in improvements to Oak Park Nursing Home. These funds will add a pavilion with a kitchen facility, as well as update emergency telephone connections.

A agreement was approved for Auburn City Schools to lease property at Duck Samford Park.

The next Auburn City Council meeting will be held on Sept. 15 in the City Council Chamber located at 141 N. Ross St.

Share and discuss “Auburn City Council Sept. 2” on social media.