Kiesel Park Releases Free Concert Series Schedule

Dogs, discs and dinner are welcome at Kiesel Park's free concert series.

Auburn residents looking for a relaxing way to spend an evening need look no further than the Sundown Concert Series, which will return to Kiesel Park Thursday, Sept. 10.

The free concert series features local and regional musicians of all different genres said Alison Hall, the community programs director for the City of Auburn Parks and Recreation Department.

"We want to offer lots of different stuff, a little bit of everything," Hall said. "We don't want to be known as just a country music series or a jazz series."

If Auburn residents want to hear jazz music then The Lo-Fi Loungers can satisfy the desire Sept. 24.

"We see our band as historic preservation," said Adam Strickland, guitarist for The Lo-Fi Loungers. "We're letting people hear something they might not hear otherwise."

Strickland also said anyone is welcome to join in on the jam.

"Even if you just have some bagpipes, you can bring them along," Strickland said. "We'll just tell you we're in the key of whatever and hop right in."

Hall said the laid back attitude is something the Sundown Concert Series wants to emphasize.

"People can bring their pets, the Frisbee, lawn chairs, a picnic supper, whatever," Hall said. "Alcohol is not allowed though."

Even though alcohol is not permitted, Hall said she wants students to come as well.

"I love seeing students sitting in the grass with all of their books spread out around them," Hall said. "It's great that they can have a different setting from the library to get their work done in."

The setting of Kiesel Park was the original inspiration for the concert series.

The City of Auburn Parks and Recreation Department started the fall concert series over 10 years ago in order to showcase the area's largest park.

"It's a great park, but residents and students didn't know about it," Hall said. "There are lots of folks in town who love music so I guess it just made sense."

The people of Auburn are what bring artists back to the concert series.

"Auburn is a great place to play," said Clemon Byrd, the saxophone player and co-founder of Sundown Concert Series veterans Satin Soul.

Byrd said Satin Soul typically plays at bars and clubs, but they will always make an exception for the Sundown Concert Series because Kiesel Park's Concert Series is always successful.

"It's definitely a fun place to play," Byrd said. "We enjoyed ourselves last year, and we were excited when they asked us back again this year."

Strickland said The Lo-Fi Loungers also enjoy playing in Auburn.

"We've never encountered a bad time," Strickland said. "It's not like Tuscaloosa where you have hillbillies yelling 'Free Bird' at you the whole time."

The Lo-Fi Loungers and Satin Soul may play different types of music, but their emphasis on a family friendly experience is the same.

"From 2-year-olds to 100-year-olds, we want everyone to come out," Strickland said.

Hall thinks the family friendly setting of the concert series is what is most important.

"It's just a good opportunity for people to come out, relax and enjoy some music without having to go to a bar to do so," Hall said.

The concerts begin with County Road 12 Sept. 10 and will run every Thursday until Oct. 22.

Music starts at 6 p.m., and people are encouraged to bring food, blankets, chairs and pets.

For more information, visit www.auburnalabama.org/parks or contact the City of Auburn Parks and Recreation Department.

Share and discuss “Kiesel Park Releases Free Concert Series Schedule” on social media.