Local Artists Play for the Community

John Peterson has been playing guitar since he was 13.

For his high school graduation he received a mandolin.

The next year he got a banjo and two years later he acquired a steel guitar.

Peterson described his music as Americana or American roots music.

"It is all songs I've written, and I've written six CDs worth of songs now," Peterson said.

Peterson mostly plays at The Gnu's Room, a coffee shop and bookstore on Gay Street.

"The main reason I like playing there is because it is a small place, so I don't have to use amplification," Peterson said. "It is kind of neat like the way the old famous blues guys started out playing a guitar and singing. They played in people's houses and clear out the furniture. When I'm playing at The Gnu's Room it feels like we are sitting in someone's house."

"It's a really cool feeling for me to be able to play like that," Peterson said. "There is a lot of connection with the crowd, and it is a venue where people are there to listen to the music."

Peterson, who plays solo, does not charge venues for his entertainment.

"I just want the music to get out there," Peterson said. "It's not really the fact that I want to make a living off of it. I just do it to get the music out and for people to hear the music and what I have to say."

Peterson said community building is an important aspect of his music.

"Another reason why I like playing at The Gnu's Room is because the owner is interested in having a community type feeling in there," Peterson said. "It is not just about books and coffee, it is about community, and I really like that idea."

Peterson said his music is his contribution to the community.

Peterson said his favorite memory is his first time playing at The Gnu's Room.

"The first time I did a full set there was just amazing to me," Peterson said. "It was such an organic feel. It was great to have that community feeling."

Peterson said when you play over loudspeakers and through a microphone there is just a disconnection with the music.

Peterson said to play in an environment like The Gnu's Room is refreshing.

Peterson will be playing this Friday at The Gnu's Room at 7 p.m.

To access Peterson's music and a free CD, visit his MySpace at www.myspace.com/alabamahog.

Share and discuss “Local Artists Play for the Community” on social media.