Auburn Travels to Top-Ranked South Carolina, Florida

Morgan Thacker / Associate Photo Editor
Morgan Thacker / Associate Photo Editor

The Auburn Soccer Team (5-4-3, 2-2 SEC) defeated Arkansas (6-3-2, 0-3 SEC) 2-1 Friday and fell to No. 20 Louisiana State University (8-2-2, 4-0 SEC) 2-0 Sunday.

The Tigers went into halftime Friday behind 1-0, but came out strong in the second half, scoring two goals.

Senior midfielder Chelsea Yauch had the first of the Tigers' two goals off a header with 31 minutes to go in the game.

Sophomore midfielder Katy Frierson gave Auburn the 2-1 lead, scoring a goal with 10:41 remaining in the game.

"We started off really flat in the first half (Friday), but I give our girls a lot of credit," said head coach Karen Hoppa. "We came back the second half and played a whole lot better and kept the possession a lot more."

In the first half, Arkansas out shot Auburn by a margin of 11-6.

The seven saves made by freshman goalkeeper Amy Howard Friday kept the Tigers in the game, giving them defensive support to earn the win.

"The first half we turned the ball over a lot and you have to give Arkansas credit for that," Hoppa said. "Their defensive pressure was great, but we did a much better job holding onto the ball and we knew the shot opportunities would come. Credit Chelsea and Katy for getting the two goals for us and giving us the win."

Sunday however, Auburn was unable to answer No. 20 LSU, who is undefeated in the SEC.

The game was televised nationally by ESPNU.

"It's always exciting to be on national TV," Hoppa said. "The new SEC/ESPN contract has added a lot more exposure for all of the SEC sports. It does not change the feel of play either way."

LSU out shot Auburn 17-9 and Howard made three saves.

"(Howard) has been playing great all year," Hoppa said. "Just because we give up goals doesn't mean the keeper is not playing well. She is getting better each week, and I expect that to continue this week."

Hoppa said not generating enough attack in the final third hurt Auburn most this weekend, and the team will be working on improving on that for this weekend's competition.

The Tigers travel to Columbia, S.C., Friday to take on the undefeated No. 8 South Carolina Gamecocks (11-0-1, 3-0-1 SEC).

Sunday the team heads to Gainesville, Fla., to face off against the No. 7 Florida Gators (8-4-1, 2-1-1 SEC).

The Gamecocks played to their first tie of the season Sunday in a muddy road contest against Mississippi State (8-2-2, 0-2-2 SEC), ending in a 1-1 draw.

The Tigers beat the Bulldogs 5-1 Sept. 25.

Sunday's match between the Gamecocks and the Bulldogs marked the first overtime play of the season for the Gamecocks,and only the third goal scored on red-shirt junior Mollie Patton.

Auburn has played to five overtimes so far this season and is 0-2-3 in overtime play.

Other South Carolina players to watch are junior forward Brooke Jenkins, who scored the goal against Mississippi State and 2008 Team MVP senior midfielder Kim Miller.

Hoppa said Auburn is not intimidated by South Carolina's undefeated record.

From Columbia, the Tigers will head to Gainesville for a road contest against the Gators.

The Gators most recently lost to the University of Mississippi (8-3, 2-1 SEC) Sunday, 3-2 in double overtime.

Auburn also fell to Ole Miss, 3-2, in double overtime, Sept. 27.

Florida players to watch are freshman midfielder/forward Brooke Thigpen, sophomore midfielder Tahnai Annis and red-shirt junior goalkeeper Katie Fraine, who had six saves against Ole Miss.

Hoppa said this week Auburn will work on its attack in the final third to prepare for South Carolina and Florida.

The Tigers take on the Gamecocks at 7 p.m. Friday.

"We were disappointed with our play last weekend, but are very excited about the opportunity to play two nationally ranked teams this coming weekend," Hoppa said.

Share and discuss “Auburn Travels to Top-Ranked South Carolina, Florida” on social media.