Louise Kreher Forest Ecology Preserve Holds 5K Race

The Louise Kreher Forest Ecology Preserve will host its Ninth Annual 5K Trail Run at 8 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 24. The Forest Ecology Preserve is 110 acres of forested lands on North College Street.

"This is one of the few trail runs in our area," said Jennifer Lolley, administrator of Louise Kreher Forest Ecology Preserve. "People really enjoy the race in such a beautiful setting."

The preserve provides educational experience for children and adults, with programs such as a wildflower hike and, most recently, "Creepy Critters." These activities, in part, rely on the funds raised by events like the fall 5K.

Registration is $18 and will include a T-shirt; all proceeds benefit the preserve.

Nick Holler, race director, describes the route the runners will take.

"It's all on trails through the forest and around the homestead area," Holler said. "Some parts you will have to watch your step, but overall it's a great trail and we have it well marked so it will be easy to navigate. For those not familiar with the ecology preserve, runners will encounter a wildflower meadow, Longleaf pine demonstration forest and several other natural habitats."

Holler said they expect more than 90 runners of all ages.

Lolley said they could receive even 150 runners and volunteers this year.

Prizes will be awarded to the top three male and female, first and second in each age group and a first master male and female.

The prizes will be Kinnucan's gift certificates of varying amounts. All runners are eligible to win door prizes and will be provided refreshments.

Kinnucan's also provides numbers and coupons for all the runners.

Another company donating its time and resources is Weston Solutions, an environmental restoration company with a branch in Auburn.

Gigi Stokes, an accountant at Weston Solutions, explained its involvement with the race.

"Our company issued a worldwide challenge in making a difference in our communities, so we called them up and asked them what they needed help with," Stokes said.

Employees will head to the preserve Friday before the race to clear debris for the runners.

To register, go to www.auburnrunning.org or come between 6:30 a.m. and 7:45 a.m. the day of the race.

Share and discuss “Louise Kreher Forest Ecology Preserve Holds 5K Race” on social media.