Students Run for Kids' Lives

Blakeley Sisk / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR
Blakeley Sisk / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

The AU Students for Life hosted the "Run for Your Life" 5K Race last Thursday beginning at Cater Lawn. The run started at 4 p.m. and finished with food and prizes.

Out of about 100 runners, two winners from each age division were recognized, and a grand prize of a free two-night stay in Gulf Shores was given away.

"This is the first year we have put on the race," said Kristina Savage, a junior in nursing and a member of the group. "We have done large fundraising events before, but we wanted to involve more students."

Savage said they wanted to do something for their organization since many Greek organizations have fundraisers as well.

The money raised from the event will go to sustaining the group and providing adequate funds for their events, conferences and speakers.

They also help Women's Hope ministries, a pregnancy resource center for women in crisis pregnancy situations.

Since AUSFL is non-profit, they operate on donations and money they can raise from their events.

Donations can be made online at the AUSFL Web site as well.

Katie Newton, a senior in nutrition, said she wanted to participate in the run because she is pro-life and thought it was be a good event to support.

AUSFL started on Auburn's campus four years ago because there hadn't been a group on campus advocating the pro-life cause since the '80s.

"The founding group felt the need to get the issue out there," Savage said.

According to their mission statement, AUSFL's goal is to promote a respect for human life and awareness to all threats to it.

The group strives to enhance the academic environment, social conscience and quality of life for all Auburn students.

The group also believes all human life should be legally and socially protected from conception to natural death and participate in local, state and national events that uphold their same ideals as well.

AUSFL works to help students who are in crisis pregnancy situations and tries to provide accurate and recent information to the campus.

This year they participated in the March for Life and the National Students for Life conference in Washington, D.C., during the spring. They hosted a diaper drive and a silent auction fundraiser to help Women's Hope pregnancy resource center.

The group has hosted several speakers on campus and sets up the "Justice for All" image display each year to engage students who can be better reached visually. During Pro-Life Week they offer informational and thought-provoking movies to the campus.

AUSFL recognizes they must have a variety of events and projects to reach all of Auburn's students.

They have actively recruited new members each year as well as officers dedicated to their mission of spreading pro-life awareness.

"Everyone deserves a chance to life," said Lauren McDonald, a sophomore in special education. "I like to run and it supported something I believe in."

Share and discuss “Students Run for Kids' Lives” on social media.