Auburn Earns 70th Homecoming Win

Auburn football won Homecoming 2009 over Furman University 63-31

"It was a good team win," said head coach Gene Chizik.

Auburn was led in the first half by senior quarterback Chris Todd.

"It was good to see him come out and fire on all cylinders," Chizik said.

Todd was 17 of 18 passing, connecting on his first 14 pass attempts, for 256 yards and four touchdowns.

Todd was quick to pass the credit along to his teammates on the offensive line and in the receiving corps.

"They stepped up and had a really great game today and we had some receivers do a really good job," Todd said.

Senior running back Ben Tate, like most of the starters, only played the first half of the game.

He was still able to gain 75 yards on 12 rush attempts.

"It was good, but I think I could have done some things better," Tate said. "We came out here and got the win and that's what we wanted to do."

Sophomore receiver Darvin Adams led all receivers with six receptions for 115 yards and three touchdowns.

Adams also credited his teammates for his success.

"Chris (Todd) was doing a great job of throwing me the ball," Adams said. "The offensive line did a great job blocking and I felt good catching the ball."

Auburn's offensive line didn't allow a sack and only gave up one tackle for loss Saturday.

Todd said the offense starts with the offensive line.

"They start the running game, the passing game and the tempo of the game," Todd said. "We feed off of them and they really stepped up and did a great job today."

Adams echoed Todd's praise of the offensive line.

"I think that we have the best five front men in the nation and we, as a team, believe that to be true," Adams said.

Auburn's defense recorded two sacks, five tackles for loss and an interception against the Paladins.

The defense had a lot of new faces playing in the second half.

"It's good to be able to have some more people with that experience with the two games left on our schedule," said freshman safety Daren Bates.

Senior defensive end Antonio Coleman recorded the 21st quarterback sack of his career, but said he was happy to see the younger guys get the chance to play.

"Those guys have been working hard all year," Coleman said. "They deserve that opportunity."

Auburn travels to Athens next week to take on the University of Georgia Bulldogs in The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry.

"It will be a challenge," Bates said. "All the seniors will tell you that Athens is a tough place to play."

Coleman said it's good to get two wins in a row, but said they've "got some big games coming down the stretch."

Share and discuss “Auburn Earns 70th Homecoming Win” on social media.