Auburn Falls to Alabama in Iron Bowl

In the 74th meeting between Auburn University (7-5, 3-5 SEC) and No. 2 University of Alabama (12-0, 8-0 SEC) football teams, Alabama came out victorious, 26-21.

"I am really, really proud of every guy who played in an Auburn uniform tonight," said Auburn head coach Gene Chizik. "We played with a lot of heart and we fought all the way down to the end."

The first half was a tale of two quarters, as Auburn dominated the first and Alabama the second.

Auburn struck first on an end-around touchdown run of 67 yards by junior wide receiver Terrell Zachery.

On the ensuing kickoff, the Tigers elected to kick an onside kick, which junior placekicker Wes Byrum successfully recovered.

"We knew that was something that we were going to do, and they were just aggressive with it and we felt like that was the best way to get everybody into the game," Chizik said.

The Tigers took advantage of the trick play as senior quarterback Chris Todd threw his 20th touchdown pass of the season to sophomore running back Eric Smith.

Todd tied the single season record for touchdown passes shared by former Auburn quarterbacks Jason Campbell (2004) and Pat Sullivan (1971) with the throw.

The first quarter came to a close with Auburn ahead 14-0. The Tigers accumulated 149 total yards of offense compared to the Crimson Tide's 37.

Alabama opened the scoring in the second quarter with a two-yard run by freshman running back Trent Richardson. Auburn 14 Alabama 7.

The Crimson Tide scored its second touchdown of the quarter on a 33-yard throw from junior quarterback Greg McElroy to senior tight end Colin Peek, tying the game at 14.

Both defenses stiffened for the rest of the quarter as no more scoring occurred.

Todd took sole possession of the record in the second half on a 72-yard touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Darvin Adams.

A successful extra point by Byrum took the score to 21-14 in favor of the orange and blue.

Alabama put three points on the board on a field goal by senior placekicker Leigh Tiffin, cutting Auburn's lead to four, 21-17.

Alabama intercepted an errant Todd pass, giving the Tide possession in Auburn territory.

The Tigers' defense was able to hold Alabama's offense to a 31-yard field by Tiffin. End of the third quarter, Auburn 21 Alabama 20.

The Crimson Tide only had 227 total yards going into its final drive in the fourth quarter, but moved the ball 79 yards on 15 plays, capped off by a four-yard pass from McElroy to senior running back Roy Upchurch that sealed the victory for Alabama.

Auburn's defense was led by junior linebacker Josh Bynes, who had 10 tackles, including one for loss.

The Tigers' defense held Alabama sophomore running back and Heisman candidate Mark Ingram to only 30 yards rushing in the game.

"We played real good run defense today," Chizik said.

With the loss, the Tigers drop to 33-40-1 against the Crimson Tide.

Auburn now awaits a bid from a bowl game.

"We have one more game together as a team, and our aim is to go win that game," Chizik said.

Share and discuss “Auburn Falls to Alabama in Iron Bowl” on social media.