Ceremony Celebrates Veterans

Auburn held its 10th annual Veteran's Day Ceremony yesterday at the Auburn Veteran's Memorial Monument on the corner of Ross Street and Glenn Avenue.

The ceremony included music from the Drake Middle School Mixed Choir and bagpiper Dan Drummond, a memorial wreath laying, remarks from Mayor Bill Hamm Jr. and the presentation of the flag by the Auburn High School Jr. ROTC.

Dick Phelan, a retired U.S. Navy Captain and member of the Veteran's Committee and City Council, attended the ceremony.

"It exemplifies the city's and the community's acknowledgement of what the veterans have done for this country," Phelan said. "I think the community is supportive, and I think the University is supportive."

Hamm said the most meaningful thing to him is seeing the veterans get the credit and recognition they deserve.

"Without question it's a meaningful place for a lot of people, whether they've been in the military or had family that's been in the military," Hamm said.

Sam Nichols is a retired U.S. Navy submariner and chairman of the City of Auburn Veteran's Committee, which co-sponsors the annual Veteran's Day Ceremony.

"We had for the first time last year, the Drake Middle School choir perform," Nichols said. "We had Auburn High School years prior to that, but Drake started doing it for us last year and I suspect they will continue on next year."

For more information on the City of Auburn Veteran's committee visit http://www.auburnalabama.org/veterans.

Share and discuss “Ceremony Celebrates Veterans” on social media.