Our View: Is Auburn Failing on Sexual Health Issues?

We always look forward to receiving our annual package in the mail from Trojan, and not just for the free condoms.

Included with a sampling of the company's products is the annual Trojan Sexual Health Report Card, a ranking system comprised of 13 different categories including sections on HIV Testing and Separate Sexual Awareness Programs as well as a Student Survey Portion.

Auburn's ranking on the report card was a 2.14 GPA, putting us at 119 out of 141 colleges and universities.

To make matters worse, the University of Alabama was No. 40.

We do feel the need to quibble with how Trojan develops their ranking, especially since "Condom Availability" is one of the criteria.

Sounds like the company may have a vested interest in that particular issue, doesn't it?

Trojan's intent to push their condoms might be a factor, but the report card does bring up some valid points for discussion.

The University of Alabama provides free condoms to its students at the student health facility.

Auburn University does not.

While sexual health is a complex issue and has many facets, providing free condoms would go a long way to improve our campus' sexual health and the general image of our campus.

We may be in the buckle of the Bible Belt here, the cradle of conservatism, but surely we can agree providing condoms to students is generally beneficial.

Shouldn't be healthy be a part of the 'dignity of life'?

It seems fairly obvious most of you are having sex any way; why not be safe?

We do feel the need to inform you there is a venue for free condoms: East Alabama AIDS Outreach.

Feel free to stop by and talk with the folks there; you can score some condoms and actually learn some useful information that can keep you healthy.

But sexual health isn't just about condoms. It also requires an intense amount of personal responsibility.

Ultimately, the sexual choices you make can and sometimes do come back to haunt you, so you must exercise good judgment in making such decisions.

Have some dignity and pride in your own self-worth and realize the random hookup isn't all fun and games.

No means of STD prevention is completely foolproof. All forms of birth control have margins of error.

The consequences of sexual actions are real and can change your life forever.

Be smart, Auburn.

Share and discuss “Our View: Is Auburn Failing on Sexual Health Issues?” on social media.