Victorian Front Porch Tour Entertains, Delights Locals

This Christmas, Opelika is celebrating like it's 1899.

The 17th annual Victorian Front Porch Christmas Tour is Dec. 9 - 13, in Opelika, beginning from North Eighth Street and Second Avenue, covering 10 blocks of the historic district.

Rose Ann Demson, who helped begin the event, said it began when local artist Jan Jones wanted to use her leftover Christmas displays from the years when she decorated malls.

"One day we just rode around in a truck and thought about how lovely her handmade Santa Clauses would look on the Victorian houses," Demson said. "That first year we just put out a couple and the porch tour has grown from there."

Since then, the Victorian Front Porch Christmas Tour has been recognized by "Southern Living," "Better Homes and Gardens" and has received awards from the Southeastern Tourism Society as one of the "Top 10 Things to Do in the Southeast."

When Jones moved out of the area, many assumed the event would end, but then Mayor Gary Fuller requested someone continue to run the event, and Jill Bonneau, current coordinator of the event volunteered.

This year, Bonneau said there will be more than 60 different vignettes with Christmas themed scenes, including a "Gone with the Wind" vignette with Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler.

To expand on the original pieces made by Jones, Bonneau explained that they now have an artistic committee for the event.

"The homeowners get some input, and the combinations of Santas, angels and Victorian figures are all old world, not commercial," Bonneau said.

To complete the ambiance, streets will close Saturday, Dec. 10, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. for an evening of walking tours and entertainment.

Among other local musicians, the Auburn Knights will perform at 7:30 p.m., Trinity United Methodist Church will provide music in its sanctuary, and Albert Killian, local historian and storyteller, will tell stories about Opelika's history.

The Brownfield House, owned by the historic society, will be open with refreshments and entertainment for visitors.

Locals dressed in Victorian party costumes will mingle with guests as part of the display.

"The night is just always a magical night, weather permitting," Demson said.

For those who cannot wait, the tour will also be a part of Opelika's Christmas in a Railroad Town's festivities, Friday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

"Trolleys and wagon carts will take visitors through the streets of Victorian houses," said Velinda Wheeles, director of Opelika Main Street.

It will cost $5 for a trolley ride, and $1 for a wagon ride per person.

Bonneau said she thinks this event, and others like it, are important to the area's sense of community and tradition.

"Especially in this day and age, traditions that people can count on are extremely important," Bonneau said. "If they move away, when they come back home there needs to be something to be there and bring back all those good memories."

As a result, Bonneau said the event draws tour busses of people from all across the Southeast, and many people who used to live in Opelika return to the tour as part of their Christmas traditions.

"It's the neighborhood's gift to the community," Demson said. "It takes you away from the hustle-and-bustle and the retail of the season. It provides a wonderful atmosphere."

Share and discuss “Victorian Front Porch Tour Entertains, Delights Locals” on social media.