AU Band honors Sarah Anderson with benefit concert

Daniel Johnson, member of The Auburn University Band, plays his french horn during the benefit concert in memory of Sarah Anderson.

Opelika Performing Arts Center hosted the Sarah Anderson Memorial Scholarship Benefit Concert Monday, Jan. 25.

The Opelika High School Symphonic Band and The Auburn University Symphonic Winds played an assortment of eight pieces of music from 7:30 to 9 p.m.

Sarah Anderson was killed Nov. 10, 2009, in a car accident five miles east of Montgomery on Interstate 85.

Anderson was a sophomore at Auburn University majoring in music and served on the Auburn University band as a flutist.

The Opelika High School Symphonic Band opened the concert with "Bonds of Unity" followed by two pieces, "Spiri- tual" and "Of Dreams and Legends."

The Opelika band was conducted by Jason Smith and Michael McGlynn.

Smith conducted the first and last and McGlynn conducted the second piece.

The Auburn University Symphonic Winds opened with "Children of the Regiment" under the direction of Richard Good at 8 p.m.

"Children of the Regiment" is a German march song.

"Each piece right now has a meaning," Good said.

The second piece is entitled "Regrets and Resolutions" written by Gary Shocker in 1959.

"('Regrets and Resolutions') Is a great flute solo piece with a wind accompaniment," Good said. "This was very fitting, Sarah Anderson played the flute. She was a music major and she took lessons with Dr. Karen Garrison, our program flute teacher and flute professor at

Auburn University." Garrison taught Anderson

how to play the flute at Auburn for a year and a half.

"I first met Sarah as an incoming freshman when she auditioned to become a music major at Auburn University," Garrison said. "I had the pleasure of teaching her for a year and a half when she was a student by private applied lessons."

Garrison said Anderson had many special talents.

"Those of you who knew Sarah know that she loved music, she loved teaching and also working with children," Garrison said. "Even though her life was cut short, she was still able to share her many special talents with so many people."

Garrison said he asked Shocker if "Regrets and Resolutions" would be appropriate to play in honor of Anderson.

Shocker thought it would serve as a wonderful tribute to Anderson, Garrison said.

"In my opinion," Garrison said, "it seemed to be a perfect piece. It starts off with a beautiful melodic section that seems to be of very good reflection of life. Then in the second part in an allegro (rhythm notation) that is very upbeat, joyful and kind." soloist in "Regrets and Resolu- tions."

The third piece, "Amazing Grace," was directed by associ- ate conductor Corey Spurlin.

Elizabeth Haynes, principal flutist, played "Amazing Grace" at Anderson's funeral.

"I know it is a great honor for (Haynes), but also a challenge cause we were all very emotional that day," Spurlin said. "I was so proud of her."

Spurlin said it was such a "beautiful" performance by Haynes.

Good said he received the highest award of his life at An- derson's funeral in Robertsdale, Anderson's hometown.

"I have always said how great these students are," Good said. "But the highest award or honor was when they asked me to be a pallbearer for Sarah. I told the band to make sure that I was strong cause Sarah would come down and say, 'Dr. Good what are you doing? Get that smile on your face. Come on, you got this.'"

Many of the students in the band "wear many hats", Good said.

One of the "many hats" that band members participate in is Kappa Kappa Psi, national band fraternity.

Stuart Daubenmire is a senior in aerospace engineering, head drum major and president of KK_.

"My favorite memory of Sarah has to be hearing her on the band field laughing," Daubenmire said. "Her laugh was audible above everyone else's and I could just hear her laughing and look and hear and know it was immediately her. That kind of attitude and energy that she showed was very very contagious."

The Pi Chapter of KK_ established the "Sarah Anderson Memorial Scholarship" which will be given to a band member annually.

"So far we have raised $2,600," Daubenmire said. "That is moving toward our goal of $25,000."

Donations for the scholarship were taken at the front door.

The fourth piece played was "To the Summit!".

"It was written by Robert W. Smith, an Alabama native and brother of KK_ out of Troy University," Good said. "The title 'To the Summit!' reflects our fraternity's motto which is: 'To Strive for the Highest'."

Anderson loved to sing the fraternity hymn, Good said.

"The words are as follows:" Good said, "'I do not know how long it will be, or what the future holds for me, but this I know, if I must die, I'm a brother of K K Psi'."

Jake Brantley is a senior in electrical engineering, a brother in KK_ and plays saxophone.

Brantley reflects on what he thinks Anderson is doing right now.

"There's no doubt that Sarah is rejoicing in heaven," Brantley said. "She is with our father and she is home and she is happy. There is no doubt in my mind."

Jim Hardin, judicial affairs, presented a flag that had flown on Samford Hall's flag pole to commemorate Anderson's death to her parents.

"As long as Auburn University's band is still playing," Mr. Anderson said, "I know that our daughter still lives because her music and her life were centered in this band."

Auburn University's alma mater served as the final piece of the concert.

"Her glass was never half full or half empty," Good said, "it was always full."

Donations can be sent to Kappa Kappa Psi c/o Sarah Anderson Memorial Scholarship at 132 Goodwin Music building.

Share and discuss “AU Band honors Sarah Anderson with benefit concert” on social media.