Theta flowers hope for children

Valentine's Day is approaching, and nothing says "I love you" better than flowers.

This week, Kappa Alpha Theta sorority is making it easer to get flowers, but Theta's doing it with a catch.

The Gamma Omega chapter of Theta sold pink, red and white carnations for $3 this week.

All proceeds will benefit Court Appointed Special Advocates, a private nonprofit organization.

The organization seeks to stop child abuse.

Lauren Smith, affiliate in the Kappa Alpha Theta chapter in Auburn, said she is a strong believer in CASA's cause.

"These are men and women who volunteer their time to work in the court system for children who have been abused, neglected or are in dangerous living situations," Smith said. "Obviously this is a wonderful cause that deserves infinite attention."

Morgan Seeley, undeclared sophomore and vice president of public relations for Theta, said Theta is happy to do anything it can for an organization such as CASA.

"CASA is a special organization to our chapter because we have a CASA kid as a sister," Seeley said. "She makes us realize that all of our hard work for CASA is completely worth it and what amazing things this organization is capable of doing." This project is not only directed at those in Auburn's Greek community, Seeley said.

All students can purchase a flower from any Theta representative.

Once the flowers are purchased, a time and location will be specified for pick up.

If a member of Auburn's Greek community is purchasing a flower, it will be delivered to each person during weekly chapter meetings.

Seeley said she hopes this fundraiser will help Theta gain more recognition on campus.

"As a new sorority to campus, this is our first spring philanthropy event and we are hoping that it will be a success so that we can continue strongly supporting CASA," Seeley said.

Seeley said they got the idea because they just thought a Valentine's Daythemed event would be a cute idea.

"We remembered sending carnations to each other in high school so we took it to the next level and incorporated singers with the flowers and a sweet note tied to the flowers," Seeley said.

The girls in the sorority are happy to help this organization and want the Auburn community to recognize the work CASA does, Smith said.

"All of the proceeds Kappa Alpha Theta raises for CASA will go to the local Chattahoochee chapter, bringing safety to kids here in our area," Smith said.

Share and discuss “Theta flowers hope for children” on social media.