Thongs going out of style, may be tucked away for good

In the February 2010 issue of Cosmopolitan, an article declared that thong underwear was no longer a must-have.

The newest trend to hit department stores is boy short underwear, a more conservative underwear that can almost be considered full coverage.

With the economy down and the weather staying cold, more people are finding themselves covering up and staying comfortable.

Mary Quince Douglas, senior in secondary childhood education, supports the new trend.

"On a day-to-day basis I'm a boy shorts wearer," Douglas said.

But neither the city of Auburn nor the students on campus have caught on to the newest fad for women.

The Victoria's Secret located in The Shoppes at East Chase hasn't seen any interest in their boy short collection for some time.

"We discontinued them," said sales associate Ashley Catrett. "The Pink line still has them, but even they don't sell. Thongs and bikinis are our top sellers."

Cosmopolitan suggests that the thong is no longer viewed as sexy to men, but Catrett disagrees.

"People who ask for boy shorts are older (women)," Catrett said. "The men who come in (to the store) look for thongs. That's what they prefer."

Douglas said she thinks it may be a matter of opinon for men when it comes to their women's underwear.

"I think it's a personal preference to them," Douglas said.

Josh Smith, freshman in exercise science, said thongs are always going to be favored by guys.

"They're just something you're supposed to like," Smith said.

Although thongs get more attention from men, women are often more concerned about panty lines than sex appeal.

"For people who don't want people to know they are wearing panties, thongs are good," Douglas said. "But with sweatpants there's really no difference."

Skinny jeans and pencil skirts are two pieces of clothing with which she would suggest her friends wear a thong.

To combat the problem of panty lines, boy shorts have become more "butthugging" according to Cosmopolitan, allowing the pleasure of comfort without losing all sex appeal.

This underwear is generally made out of a mesh material that easily melts when cut with a laser, allowing a smooth edge creating a seamless finish that won't be noticed under the tightest jeans or skirt.

Boy shorts also seem to be following the economic trend, with the depression increasing sales in more conservative attire, but Catrett doesn't relate the boy shorts fad to the economy. "I don't think it has any- thing to do with being conservative," Catrett said. "They're simply more comfortable."

Douglas said she thinks some women may still be tired of being looked at as simply sex objects with feminists becoming more outspoken.

"It might be like the burning bras," Douglas said.

Whether for comfort or for fashion, Cosmopolitan has announced the newest trend expected to take over a girl's panty drawer.

"Boy shorts are fine with me," Smith said. "If I like a girl, it's not going to matter what she's wearing."

Share and discuss “Thongs going out of style, may be tucked away for good” on social media.