Tutti Frutti offers healthier dessert options with frozen yogurt and fruit

There's a new place in town to satisfy those sweet tooth cravings.

Monday, Feb. 8, Tutti Frutti, a self-serve frozen yogurt shop, opened in downtown Auburn across the street from Samford Hall, where Cambridge Coffee was located.

With 45 different flavors of yogurt available and near limitless options, this shop offers competition to the larger ice cream and frozen yogurt chains.

Peter Lee, the general manager, is excited to bring the variety to Auburn.

"This is a different and new trend," Lee said. "A couple of years ago it became popular... and now it's all over California Texas, New York and Miami." Along with the variety of yogurts. Tutti Frutti also offers a broad selection of toppings including fresh fruits and nuts.

"I know all the fruit is fresh, because I cut it every morning," said Katie Tingey, employee and sophomore in fine arts.

Sprinkles and other candy toppings are offered but with the new health trend, Lee expects many to enjoy the produce options more.

"It's become popular with the younger generation... thinking about the health profits," Lee said. "(Yogurt) is a non-fat side of food. There are lots of nutritious benefits.... It's even lactose free for those who aren't tolerant."

Unlike most yogurt shops, Tutti Frutti does not have set prices for what they offer. For forty-five cents an ounce, customers can decide what type of yogurt and toppings they would like in either a small or large cup.

"I like that it's self service," said Morgan Ellis, graduate student in structural engineering. "You can test it without committing."

Ellis enjoyed her choice of a large cup with peach yogurt, strawberries and walnuts.

"You're satisfied because you're the one doing it," Tingey said.

After the next two to three weeks, Lee hopes to be able to offer a selection of premium coffee.

"We'll have lattes, cappuccinos and iced coffee," Lee said. "I'll have the best prices I can get."

Fresh fruit smoothies will also become available. One of Lee's biggest focuses is making his shop student-friendly. Free WiFi is already available and once his shop becomes more stable he hopes to offer specials. "I'll issue coupons and have gift certificates available," Lee said. "I'll also have customer specials... such as buying five (yogurts) and getting one free."

Tutti Frutti is open from 11:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. daily and is a short walk from campus.

"It's really quick," Tingey said. "You can be in and out in five minutes."

After two weeks of being opened, customers would already recommend this shop over competitors.

"For frozen yogurt, this is the best choice," Ellis said.

Share and discuss “Tutti Frutti offers healthier dessert options with frozen yogurt and fruit” on social media.