Sasser Says Traffic Safety is Essential

Though Kurt Sasser just became SGA president, he's already working to improve Auburn University.

Pedestrian safety was one of Sasser's key platforms throughout his campaign.

Pedestrian safety is a major concern right now because there have been eight pedestrian accidents within the past six months, Sasser said. Sasser said SGA needs to work with the city of Auburn. Sasser said the SGA has a city relations liaison that attends City Council meetings.

"One of my major pushes with pedestrian safety is having those motion sensitive lights that will shine down on the crosswalk, especially at night when a pedestrian steps out onto the crosswalk," Sasser said.

Sasser said he has additional ideas for public safety.

"Another option is having a button that a pedestrian can push when they walk on the crosswalk that will shine a light on the crosswalk," Sasser said.

Sasser will personally attend City Council meetings to encourage ways to promote pedestrian safety.

"I will absolutely be going to City Council meetings, working with Mayor Bill Ham and really seeing what we can accomplish together, because it can't just be Auburn working," Sasser said. "It has to be the city and Auburn University working together."

Additionally, a tuition increase is expected next year. The SGA has been attending Board of Trustees meetings.

The SGA has tried conveying to them that tuition increases should be the last resort and they need to look at cutting funding in other places.

Sasser said the state has cut Auburn University's funding by 40 percent since 2007. "I think lobbying will make a difference because, first of all, they need to hear from the students," Sasser said.

Sasser attended Higher Education Day where he got to lobby for Auburn and had the opportunity to talk with senators.

Another of Sasser's goals is to keep the Student Center open 24/7.

"We have to do a better job of allowing more places for students to study, especially during finals," Sasser said.

Sasser explained the practicality of the plan.

"Before I ran for office, I talked to Dr. Carry, the vice president of student affairs," Sasser said. "I wasn't going to put that in my platform if it wasn't feasible and if it wasn't something that the students need."

The major expenditure will result from an increase in security for the Student Center, Sasser said. Sasser plans to keep the

Student Center open during spring finals to gauge how much extra money it would cost.

He would also like Starbucks to stay open until 2 a.m.

"People will go," Sasser said.

Sasser has been considering who to appoint to his cabinet.

"I have been thinking about my cabinet and appointing my former competitors, Daniel McCarty and Brad Cink," Sasser said.

He said they have been good friends since freshman year, and he would like to work with them because they are qualified.

Sasser discussed ways in which the SGA could improve itself.

"I think one of the biggest things is if you're not in SGA, we don't do a very good job of publicizing our events," Sasser said. "Like a lot of people don't know that at every football game we give out the shakers for the student section. That's an SGA-sponsored event."

Sasser is also looking at getting Auburn students involved in SGA through volunteering.

"We also have to do a good job of getting volunteers that have connection to the SGA and show them that the SGA's not only a cabinet or senate, but that SGA's the whole student body," Sasser said.

Share and discuss “Sasser Says Traffic Safety is Essential” on social media.