Friendly, But Fierce

Spring has sprung on The Plains, and warm-weather intramural sports are out in force. Tuesday night saw the third week of student softball and soccer teams in play, as various student organizations went head to head.

Baby's Daddies, a coed team with a female pitcher, lost a close bout with the Pillsbury Bro-Boys 15-14.

"It's just always a good time when you come out here and play," said Baby's Daddies' Adam Furrer, senior in physical education. "I like to come out here and hang out with my classmates. It's a good challenge and gives us good fellowship."

Some teams took the opportunity to practice while watching other teams and enjoying the cool night air.

"It's a lot of fun to get out here and play," said Brittney Lantrip, sophomore in biomedical sciences. "We're not even playing tonight, but I enjoy just practicing with my coed team, the Diamond Studs. It's a great opportunity to bond with my sorority sisters. It also helps that I used to play. I was kind of a big deal."

Another pair of softball teams in play was the War Eagle Girls and Plainsmen and I'd Hit That. Despite strong defensive performances in the outfield by such WEGP players as Drew Steverson, sophomore in aerospace engineering, I'd Hit That came out on top with a score of 13-8.

"We get some great group bonding time when we play," Steverson said. "It's a good chance to get close. You see a competitive side of your friends that you might not see otherwise, but you also get to see the goofy side."

Some students who play intramurals are former high school athletes who wish to continue to hone their skills.

"This is a great program that Auburn has set up for us students," said WEGP player CJ Henley, sophomore in political science. "I like to come out and play because of the competition and to support my organization, obviously, but also because it lets me re-live my glory days a little bit."

Another advantage of intramurals is that players of any skill level can compete. Such was the case with Elizabeth Williams, sophomore in public relations playing for WEGP.

"This is my first time playing intramurals," Williams said. "I think it's a lot of fun to come out and play with my friends. It's also the first we've had to enjoy the spring weather, so that's cool too."

Some players such as WEGP's Brad Cink, junior in industrial engineering, have taken advantage of the multiple sports Auburn offers to students.

"My organization encouraged me to play, so that's why I came out," Cink said. "I've always liked the various intramural programs here at Auburn. I did the track meet my freshman year and I've played basketball too."

On the opposite end of the fields, soccer teams Psygo and Mean Green duked it out in a fast-paced game. Psygo is comprised of graduate level psychology students like Ben Carter, who served as the team's coach Tuesday night.

"Soccer is great because people of all skill levels can play," Carter said. "It's also fun for me to get back out here and play like I used to a long time ago in high school. It's cool how we all got together. We just sent out e-mails to see if any other grad students were interested in playing and people started coming out."

Aggressive players such as Mean Green's Julia Ryczak, freshman in science and mathematics, led her team's charge down the pitch, but it was ultimately Psygo that came out on top, winning 9-4.

"I play intramurals because it's a great way to relax," said Mean Green's Ben Nemic, graduate student in hotel and restaurant management. "I really enjoy playing sports that I have no idea how to play."

Share and discuss “Friendly, But Fierce” on social media.