Search For College of Business Dean Officially Over

Bill Hardgrave has been named the new dean of the Auburn University College of Business.

Hardgrave, who has a doctorate in philosophy, comes to Auburn from the University of Arkansas, where he has been working with the Sam W. Walton College of Business for 17 years.

Hardgrave is a self-styled builder, and said he is most excited to work at Auburn for its opportunity to grow.

"I'd like to see us harness a lot of the things that are already going on," Hardgrave said.

Some of Hardgrave's initial plans include talking to students, faculty and the community about their ideas and where they see the College of Business. He said communication is key.

Hardgrave brings 17 years of experience to the table. He is the founder and director of the radio frequency identification (RFID) Research Center at the University of Arkansas and the founder and executive director of the Information Technology Research Institute.

Hardgrave said his experience at the University of Arkansas has prepared him for the position of dean.

"This was the next logical step professionally," Hardgrave said. "I'm looking forward to new challenges and the new environment."

Hardgrave said a few of his duties will include overseeing the faculty and budget, being an advocate for the faculty, serving as a representative of the college and raising resources for new and existing programs.

Hardgrave said he plans to focus energy in the college on specific things, rather than to try to be good at everything. He said the needs of the college align with the strengths he brings.

"The new environment will take some adjustment," Hardgrave said. "If I had any hesitation that I couldn't do it, I wouldn't have taken the job."

Mary Ellen Mazey, provost and vice president of academic affairs at Auburn, said out of 30 to 40 applicants for this job, Hardgrave seemed ideal because he's been a successful faculty member and administrator.

Mazey said she anticipates Hardgrave can build the academic programs for the college at the graduate and undergraduate level, as well as reach out to the business community.

Hardgrave said he has received a lot of support from the Auburn faculty and students.

"I felt it and saw it," Hardgrave said. "The concept of the Auburn family was real, and that was something that was very attractive to me."

When he first came to Auburn, Hardgrave heard people talk about the "Auburn family," but wasn't sure what to expect.

"The University of Arkansas is a wonderful school," Hardgrave said. "I'm not running away."

Eric T. Bradford, managing director in the department of Information Technology Research Institute at the University of Arkansas, said Hardgrave will be missed.

"He'll be a big loss to the University because of the things he's done here, which are well documented," Bradford said. "But he has a great opportunity there at Auburn."

The biggest change for Hardgrave will be the scale on which he will be working.

"It's a great school, and a great opportunity," Hardgrave said. "I am so anxious and excited to get started."

Hardgrave will start working with the College of Business in August.

Share and discuss “Search For College of Business Dean Officially Over” on social media.