Summer Work Opportunities for Students

Career Development Services, located in Mary Martin Hall, helps make the search for a summer job less formidable.

Phyllis Bickers, one of the many career counselors in Mary Martin, said the website is one of the most helpful tools to help students find seasonal jobs and internships in the Auburn area.

"It's our E-Harmony of getting students and employees together," Bickers said. "And all Auburn students can use it for free."

Since the town has such a large university, most of the internships offered in Auburn are for students.

Megan Young, a strength and conditioning coach who works with baseball and women's basketball and soccer, said she found her paid internship and dream job through the site.

She also helps Coach Kevin Yoxall with football.

Once an athlete herself, at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, Young said she always knew she wanted to work with athletes.

"I knew I wanted to be in strength and conditioning, and I started to volunteer in my weight room during summers of my sophomore, junior and senior years," Young said.

After graduation, Young went to Baylor University for more experience and worked in the weight room as a graduate assistant.

When the Auburn internship was revealed to Young, she said she immediately traveled to Auburn for the interview.

"I was looking for quality internships and wanted something that I could use on a resume and definitely working under some good people," Young said. "It's important to start looking early, depending on your career path."

Though there are several seasonal internships offered by the University, the larger array of work is actually done outside of Auburn, said Meaghan Lee, a career counselor.

"It depends on your major, and what you want to do," Lee said. "But, in general, most internships are located out of the area."

However, if the thought of an internship seems like too much stress, there are plenty of summer job opportunities in the Auburn area.

For instance, Moore's Mill Country (Golf) Club is well-known around campus for hiring students for the summer.

Other employment opportunities include most restaurants and bars in downtown Auburn.

"Many of the employers in our area are very flexible with student schedules," Lee said.

As far as resumes go, it's important to focus on skills and involvement.

"You should focus on prior work experience, because that's what employers really want to see," Lee said. "And when you write about that, you really want to focus on your skills, not just the tasks you completed."

According to Bickers, most job opportunities in Auburn can be found on the Career Development Services website, http://www.auburn.edu/academic/provost/undergrad_studies/career.

Share and discuss “Summer Work Opportunities for Students” on social media.