Voss Earns SEC Service Honors

Krissy Voss, senior in chemistry, carries a heavier load than the average student.

She leaps from class to lab to practice and meets, and she doesn't stop there.

The senior is not just a leader to her own team, but a leader in the SEC.

Voss has been on the SEC Academic Honor Roll for three consecutive years.

Voss also received the National Association of Collegiate Gymnastics Coaches Women's Scholastic All-American award and has also been a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars.

This year she managed to pick up an even more prestigious honor.

Voss was named one of two 2009-10 Brad Davis Southeastern Conference Community Services Leaders of the Year. The award is only given to two SEC athletes, one male and one female.

The winners are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representative from SEC universities.

The SEC provides the winners with $6,000 post-graduate scholarship.

But the determination of Voss is even more impressive than the awards.

She remains just as unwavering in her athletic goals as well.

"I love competing and I love gymnastics," Voss said. "I commit and I don't procrastinate. If I have an hour in between class and practice, I get it done."

Coach Jeff Thompson said Voss has done a fantastic job of stepping into a leadership role this year.

"The team loves her as a leader," Thompson said. "They follow her advice and follow her in the gym, whether they are having a bad day or not, she's there to talk to."

Voss said she tries to do just that.

"I try to do a good job every day," Voss said. "I've been a lot more open in voicing my opinion this year and have been trying to get underclassmen to do the same."

This has not gone unnoticed.

"Here's a kid putting twenty plus hours a week into gymnastics and is a chemistry major," Thompson said. "It's all part of that Krissy Voss package."

That package has helped the team to its No. 16 ranking.

Voss is the leadoff person on uneven bars and Thompson said she has done an extraordinary job of getting her hits.

"When you have a person that's going to hit, that gives the team a lot of confidence," Thompson said.

Share and discuss “Voss Earns SEC Service Honors” on social media.