RBC Bank Doesn't Want Students to be Without School Supplies

Students will be heading back to school soon, and no child should enter the new school year without fresh school supplies.

RBC Bank is doing its annual school supply drive to help children in need. The bank is partnering with Lee County on its endeavor.

Banking Center Manager Brian O'Neil said that every quarter the RBC Bank does a drive for those who are in need. He said each branch takes the initiative to better the community.

O'Neil said because of school budget cuts and the economy being in the state that it's in, teachers and unprivileged children need the support of Lee County citizens to help donate school supplies for the new school year.

"This year is going to be a tough year for parents to afford school supplies," O'Neil said. "We want to make sure the students and the teachers receive the materials they need to better the children's futures."

O'Neil said simple supplies like pencils, pens and loose-leaf paper can go a long way. He also said copy paper is an important material for teachers to have.

The RBC Bank is the official sponsor of the PGA Tour this year. O'Neil said July 30 will be the official kick-off date of the school supply drive with golf-themed family fun day.

"We're placing a lot of resources and time to make sure the drive is successful this year," O'Neil said. "We are looking forward to a great success, and we hope the customers or non-customers react to a definite need in the community."

Beginning on July 30 and until August 13, at 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., citizens of Lee County can donate school supplies at any Lee County RBC Bank.

There are two Auburn branch locations. One is located at 2085 E. University Drive, and the second one is located at 1605 South College St.

If proximity is a problem, there are also two Opelika branches at 2426 Enterprise Drive and at 605 Second Ave.

All school supplies collected will be dispensed between Auburn City Schools, Opelika City Schools and Lee County School systems.

Anne Norrell, the banking center manager of the Auburn South College branch, said the RBC Bank branches are having a friendly competition to see who will receive the most school supplies. She said that at the end of each day, they will receive a number of supplies donated on that particular day.

"I think South College is going to win the competition," Norrell said. "We're working hard."

Norrell said after hearing about different school budget cuts on the news, she felt it is the banks responsibility to help the school systems in their time of need.

"It's the bank's duty to give back and help the children obtain school supplies," Norrell said. "Some of the kids don't even have some of the basic needs, and that is really sad."

Relationship Banker Rita Schneider is gearing up for the big drive.

Schneider said she is ready to see the community spring into action to help children in need.

"I hope we do well with the drive," Schneider said. "That will be one less thing students and parents would have to worry about with the upcoming school year."

Share and discuss “RBC Bank Doesn't Want Students to be Without School Supplies” on social media.