Women's soccer prevails against Milwaukee

The Auburn women's soccer team pulled a win Sunday against Milwaukee in its second game of the MKE cup with a final score of 2-1.

"Today's game was important for us," said midfielder Katie Frierson.

After suffering a loss Friday to Marquette, the Tigers entered their Sunday match with renewed motivation.

Auburn led in the first period, with midfielder/forward Jessica Rightmer, landing the first goal of the game 25 minutes in.

The goal was assisted by defender Julie King and forward Ashley Marks.

"Julie had the ball, and she was dribbling forward and played it through to Ashley," Rightmer said. "Ashley had a good touch and found me."

From there, Rightmer said she was able to put the ball into the left corner with her right foot.

Milwaukee tied the game 22 minutes into the second half with a goal by Keara Thompson. Less than ten minutes later, Katy Frierson secured Auburn's lead with a second goal for the Tigers.

"Katie was just doing her thing," Rightmer said. "She got the very tip of her toe and just kind of toe-poked it in. It was a really good finish."

"It was a very physical game for us," Frierson said. "We were just trying to keep the ball."

Possession was controlled slightly by Milwaukee throughout the game,with Auburn attempting three shots in the first period and seven in the second period, and Milwaukee attempting four shots in the first period and 11 in the second.

"The field here is very hard for us to play on," Frierson said. "But we still managed to get the two goals in."

"I thought that our team did really well coming back from our Friday game. Everybody came out really hard and strong," Rightmer said.

Auburn returns home for its match against Florida State on Friday.

Share and discuss “Women's soccer prevails against Milwaukee” on social media.