Bookstore brings popular authors to campus

That long line at the bookstore isn't just for textbooks and Auburn gear this fall.

The Auburn University Bookstore is also host to book signings by various authors.

"During the fall, I usually aim to get authors of football books," said Margaret Hendricks, general manager. "I want someone of interest, someone who people will be excited about."

This week's featured signer was Auburn graduate Chad Gibbs, author of "God and Football."

"God and Football" is a memoir of Gibbs' experiences traveling to 12 Southeastern Conference football games and tailgates in an attempt to discover why college football has become, in a sense, a form of worship for some football extremists.

"The reason I wanted to do it was after Auburn's 2008 season (5-7 overall and 2-6 in the SEC)," Gibbs said. "I wondered, 'Why is this so important to me, and why do I let it affect me the next day and the way I worship God?'"

Born and raised an Alabama fan, Gibbs said he visited Auburn his senior year of high school on a whim and fell in love with the campus.

He graduated from Auburn in 2002 and now resides with his wife in the Auburn-Opelika area.

One author Hendricks said she is particularly excited about is Greg Mortenson, author of "Three Cups of Tea." Mortenson will be coming to the new Auburn Arena Oct. 26 from 1 to 10 p.m. The event is free for Auburn students.

The No. 1 New York Times best-seller "Three Cups of Tea" is a tale of Mortenson's journey to promote peace through helping establish schools in remote regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan that have been crippled by poverty and acts of violence.

"I'm really excited about Mortenson coming," Hendricks said. "I think everyone on campus is. We don't see an author of that stature that comes very often. This is going to just about be the biggest book signing we've done."

Mortenson will feature two of his other books, "Stones into Schools" and his children's book, "Listen to the Wind."

By having the book signing in the Arena, the event will be open not only to students, but also members of the community.

Thom Gossom, author of "Walk-On," will be at the bookstore Sept. 18 from 2 to 4 p.m.

Ray Glier, author of "What It Means to be a Tiger: Pat Dye and Auburn's Greatest Players," will also be there Sept. 18, Oct. 23 and Nov. 13. Times are contingent on game times.

Former Auburn coach Pat Dye and former Auburn players will be at the book signings as well.

"I love that the authors of these books come," said Kayla Payne, graduate student in communication disorders. "It makes me feel more connected to the book, and that is a cool feeling."

Share and discuss “Bookstore brings popular authors to campus” on social media.