Conference encourages kids' literature

Writers have their pencils sharpened and notebooks in hand for Auburn's first writing conference Oct. 8 and 9.

The theme of the event is "The Child on the Page" and will center around literature made for and about children.

The price for nonstudents is $150 for both days, $110 for Friday (includes a lunch and dinner) and $55 for Saturday.

Auburn students will be able to reserve their spots for a discounted price: $25 for Friday and/or Saturday. This cost includes a dinner at Ariccia in the Auburn University Hotel and Conference Center.

The conference, which creators hope will become an annual event for the University, will have a different theme each year.

This year's theme was developed by Chantel Acevedo, professor in Auburn's English department. Acevedo, a former middle school teacher, said she thought a conference centered around young adult literature was needed since few exist.

According to her blog, "Those of us who love to read and write discovered the page as kids. We think that's something worth celebrating. We're launching this conference with a theme that echoes most of our personal journeys with the written word."

Professionals in the fields of poetry, illustration and young adult literature, and even a writing agent from New York who specializes in query letters and manuscript submissions, will be speaking at the conference.

Students can expect to be involved in small-group workshops, panel discussions and readings.

Three Auburn professors will be leading workshops.

Jill Sutton, senior in English language arts education, said the writing conference is causing excitement around campus.

"I've heard a couple of people in my classes mention that they wanted to go," she said. "I think it could be really interesting and fun. I'm definitely thinking about signing up to attend."

The workshops are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Each participant chooses two workshops a day to attend, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

To register, visit the College of Liberal Arts page at www.auburnwritersconference.org, where you can reserve your spot online or receive directions on mailing in your registration form.

Students of all majors are welcome and encouraged to participate, regardless of skill level or major.

Share and discuss “Conference encourages kids' literature” on social media.