Organization offers 'sweet' deal

The first meeting of the Black Student Union was a treat for all who attended, including President Jay Gogue.

The organization's annual ice cream social drew a large crowd, as most seats were filled.

When all the seats were filled, students lined the walls of the room in order to attend.

"Everything that we've been doing this year has been bigger crowds than what we expected," said Shawntell Pace, president of BSU and senior in radio, television and film. "But it's all due to our leadership team. We're known on campus for actually getting the job done."

Pace said topics discussed in BSU meetings can vary from college retention rates to why single black women have a hard time finding a man after the age of 30.

Gogue said he could relate to worries about college retention.

Gogue admitted he didn't do well as a freshman at Auburn.

"It's incredibly important to use your time wisely while you're here," Gogue said.

Gogue said he would study from 6 to 10 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays, taking Fridays and Saturdays off.

Gogue pointed out three important factors relating to college retention.

"They always encourage the development of friendships in small groups," Gogue said.

The other two factors he mentioned were living and eating on campus and getting to know faculty and staff members.

Tabresha Langham, secretary of BSU and junior in English, said she was excited to have Gogue attend the meeting because it shows he recognizes the group as an important campus organization that has the power to affect the campus.

The organization promotes unity on campus, Pace said.

Pace said the organization isn't narrow-minded.

"We're open-minded to everything," she said. "We respect everybody's cultures."

Membership in the organization has increased since last year.

Langham said she believes the increase in membership is because students are becoming more aware of BSU's purpose and goals.

For those who missed the meeting, but are still interested in becoming active members of BSU, sign-up forms are available in the SGA suite on the third floor of the Student Center.

"Technically, everybody is a member because they pay for it out of their tuition," Pace said. "They're just becoming an active member."

To remain an active member, Pace explained students are required to attend at least four meetings per semester.

The organization meets Mondays at 5 p.m. in Room 2222 in the Student Center.

Share and discuss “Organization offers 'sweet' deal” on social media.