Cheruiyot chases records, Olympic dreams

Ben Cheruiyot has a running start on his cross-country competition this season.

The junior in health promotions was named SEC cross-country athlete of the week after a strong performance last week at the Brooks Memphis Cross-Country Classic.

Cheruiyot won his first 8K of the season, beating a field of 246 runners with a time of 23:15.96.

The runner said he was honored to receive the recognition.

"I don't feel any more pressure," Cheruiyot said. "It pushes me to do better."

Cheruiyot, who typically runs 80 miles per week, said a win this early in the season is encouraging.

"Right now, I feel it's good because it's the beginning of the season," Cheruiyot said, "so when I find myself in a situation where I can compete that closely and win, I feel like I'm in the right position."

He said he focuses on mental fitness to prepare for races.

"When I go to an event, I have to go there knowing that I am mentally fit," Cheruiyot said. "I adjust my mentality to feel like I'm good, and it boosts the physical, which gives me an advantage."

Teammate Mark Fleming, senior in electrical and wireless engineering, said Cheruiyot's mentality helps Fleming's training.

"I know I've learned a lot from Ben about mental toughness, training day in and day out," Fleming said. "Even when he's tired, he carries on and helps me."

Cheruiyot's ability is because of hard work, Fleming said.

"He's a very talented guy when it comes to running," Fleming said, "but I know I've seen him put in all the hard work, and I can definitely say that's paying off."

Cheruiyot stays motivated by thinking of future races.

"I know, to get to the next stage, I have to feel comfortable with what I'm doing now, so that keeps me moving," Cheruiyot said.

Cheruiyot, native of Eldoret, Kenya, started running in seventh grade.

He later realized running was his ticket for a scholarship to study abroad in the United States.

He said he felt Auburn was the right place.

"When I came to visit, it was a football game day, and that was really different," Cheruiyot said, "but it was a good environment, a good family."

Cheruiyot said he has big goals for the season.

"Last year, my goal was just to go to nationals and try to be an All-American," Cheruiyot said. "This year, my goal is the same, but I want to be in the top 10 at nationals."

Fleming said Cheruiyot is on track to achieve his goals.

"Ben has the world at his fingers," Fleming said. "If everything goes right, he has the potential to do great, and with him on our team, we definitely have a great chance to be competitive at SEC level and at regionals, and hopefully, we'll go to nationals this year."

Coach Mark Carroll said Cheruiyot is ready to go higher this season.

"He is a determined competitor," Carroll said. "He has an excellent finishing burst that very few can match. Ben has started this season on a whole new level from a year ago."

Cheruiyot said he hopes to run professionally after college.

"I'm planning to see how I can do as a professional athlete, but first, I want to get my degree," Cheruiyot said. "Sometimes, you don't do the way you expected to, professionally, but with school, you know you'll have that degree."

Cheruiyot's dream is to compete in the 2016 Olympics.

"That has been in my mind," Cheruiyot said. "Sometimes dreams can come true."

Share and discuss “Cheruiyot chases records, Olympic dreams” on social media.