Gaming goes retro

Mike Moody, senior in supply chain management, plays NFL Blitz 2001 on his Nintendo 64. (Charlie Timberlake / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

Game systems like Nintendo 64, Sony PlayStation and Sega Genesis took center screen in the '90s by spawning a worldwide craze and becoming an integral part of our culture.

The generation that so proudly made these games household names is now pulling out old boxed-up systems and games, bringing popularity back to the old school games of the '90s.

With the infinitely more complex world of 21st-century RPG and Wii linked-in gaming, it may seem strange to some why young people are clamoring for the outdated video games of their youth.

According to fans of retro games, the reasoning behind the "Retro Revival" is simple.

"These are the games we grew up on and logged countless hours on," said Jamison Codner, senior in business administration. "New games and new graphics are great, but you really can't beat the classics. I don't know if they're better or if our generation is just loyal to what we grew up with, but either way I'm glad that they're coming back. I'm in full support."

Other Auburn students also feel the same loyalty to their favorite childhood games as Codner.

Some students find solace in the memories of the games of their childhoods, even if they weren't huge gamers at the time.

"I'll admit, I was a huge Mario Kart fan back in the day, but after that, the whole gaming trend kind of lost me," said Hannah Hubbard, senior in human development and family studies. "But I'll gladly replay some Nintendo 64 any day."

The return of old-school video games is in part because of America's negative economic climate.

New games cost at least $30 to $40 each.

Gamers may not be ready to give up their gaming, but they also may not be prepared to pay the high price to buy the expensive game systems and corresponding games.

"For a lot of people, I think it just makes more sense to play the old games, especially if you haven't played them in a while," Codner said. "They're as good as new, but free."

Nostalgic gamers can soon look forward to being able to not only replay the classics, but also revisit the game with new story lines and updated content.

NBA Jam, Splatterhouse, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Fallout: New Vegas, and James Bond: GoldenEye007 are some of the retro games scheduled for revamping and reappearance on the store shelves.

More impressive graphics, more violence and more multi-player options can be expected.

Several major publishers are planning on satisfying nostalgic gamers by releasing new games that look and sound similar to the old ones.

New video games are being released with an art style reminiscent of the distinct old-school graphics of Sega Genesis and the original Nintendo and the same sounds that almost anyone could pinpoint.

Whether playing the old-school games or buying the revamped version of the classics, the retro revival is in full force.

Share and discuss “Gaming goes retro” on social media.