Guest professor gives take on Darwin, faith

Today's society often puts the science of evolution and spiritual faith in separate, conflicting corners. Last Thursday, Mark Cohen came to campus to offer a different perspective. Cohen, professor of anthropology at the State University of New York at Plattsburgh, said the primary goal of his lecture, "Darwin and the Bible: Culture of Science, Culture of Faith," was to explain the relationship between the cultures of science and faith and how each contributes to understanding evolution.

"I think they are both necessary," Cohen said. "I think they are both very important. I think they should not intrude on one another."

Hamilton Bryant, senior in anthropology and president of the Anthropological Society, said he thought Cohen's lecture was especially pertinent on a generally conservative campus.

"I think he provided a unique opportunity for people to recognize that you can have a place in your life for faith and for more science-based thinking," Bryant said. "They don't necessarily have to butt heads. I think a lot of students, especially on Auburn's campus, could really benefit from knowing that."

Cohen said the misuse of the terms "theory" and "fact" fans the flames of the evolution controversy.

"Darwinian evolution is not fact," Cohen said. "It's about as close to truth or fact as science has reached."

A fundamental principle of science called uniformitarianism states that natural principles govern the world.

Since it cannot be explained by known principles, Cohen said creation science is an oxymoron.

On the other end of the spectrum from creation science is evolutionary psychology, which says there is no need for faith since genetics can explain everything, Cohen said.

"First of all, that's scientific bullshit, but you can see how threatening it is if they're claiming territory like that," Cohen said. "It's an enormous challenge to faith which does not have to be there. It's arrogance of scientists gone mad."

Cohen said the importance of faith should not be disregarded.

He said studies have shown that anti-inflammatory elements in blood increase when a person is in a state of faith, whether it be faith in God, family or friends.

"If it's faith in God, fine, I don't care," Cohen said. "From my point of view, it's the faith, not the God, that's important here."

Cohen said faith is important because it provides what science cannot--conscientious morality and guidelines on how to treat one another.

"I hope none of you will ever give up your faith," Cohen said. "I hope, however, you will keep it separate from science. The two sides have to respect each other."

Kyle Lindsey, junior in psychology, said he thinks the two sides can even complement each other.

"I am very much about the inerrancy of the Bible," Lindsey said, "but at the same time, I don't see it as conflicting with evolutionary biology; in fact, if anything, I see it complementing."

Cohen said it is of utmost importance for students to challenge what they are told, think critically and understand that they are always entitled to an opinion.

"My 5-year-old daughter is entitled to an opinion," Cohen said. "Her opinion may become more refined as she gets older, just as yours may. But if you can't start building opinions now, when do you reach the point where you can?"

Share and discuss “Guest professor gives take on Darwin, faith” on social media.