Late turnovers propel Auburn past Arkansas, 65-43

The Auburn Tigers forced three turnovers late in the game to beat Arkansas 65-43 Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Auburn's 65 points are the most points scored in a game since the Tigers put up 73 against Louisiana Monroe in 2003 and the most ever scored by the Tigers against a Southeastern Conference opponent.

"This football team amazes me in different ways every week," said head coach Gene Chizik. "That was an extremely good football team tonight. It was another way that we found how to win the game. It was such a team thing, it was unbelievable."

The Razorbacks scored first midway through the first quarter when senior fullback Van Stumon caught a 7-yard pass from junior quarterback Ryan Mallett.

Mallett would leave the game midway through the second quarter because of a concussion and was replaced by sophomore quarterback Tyler Wilson, who didn't miss a beat until the fourth quarter.

Wilson completed 15 of his first 17 passes for 270 yards and four touchdowns including a 23-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Greg Childs to give the Razorbacks the lead with 14:09 left in the game.

"I have to give him a lot of credit," Chizik said. "It is the same idea, the same offense. He made some incredible throws. We didn't play some of the coverages very well."

Auburn junior quarterback Cameron Newton rushed for 188 yards on 25 carries and three touchdowns while also completing 10-of-14 passes for 140 yards and a touchdown.

"It was amazing," Newton said. "We went out there and played as a team. The offensive line was the key. Running behind them, it just wasn't me. The whole running back core--all of them had an excellent game."

Midway through the fourth quarter Arkansas junior running back Broderick Green was taken down by senior linebacker Craig Stevens, causing a fumble that was immediately picked up by senior safety Zac Etheridge, going 47 yards for the touchdown.

On that same play, senior safety Aairon Savage was injured and driven off the field.

"I can't say enough about that young man," Chizik said. "I don't know what the final prognosis is of the whole deal. We will know more tomorrow, but it breaks my heart. When I went out on the field, and he is lying there, and he is crying, and he has tears in his eyes, that hurts me. This guy has done everything we've asked him to do to come back and be a football player at Auburn because he loves Auburn, and he loves football, and that hurts."

Auburn will face Louisiana State University next Saturday at 2:30 p.m. in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Share and discuss “Late turnovers propel Auburn past Arkansas, 65-43” on social media.