Nothing Meaner than a wet cat

Auburn will be well represented on the 2010-2011 USA Swimming National Team.

Junior Micah Lawrence and senior George Adam Klein IV were both selected, as well as former Auburn swimmers Mark Gangloff, Tyler McGill and Eric Shanteau.

Freshman Emily Bos was selected for the junior team.

"It's always a huge honor to make any national team, especially the U.S., which is the strongest team in the world," said head coach Brett Hawke.

The swimmers competed for spots on the team in Olympic events at the 2010 ConocoPhillips USA Swimming National Championships and the 2010 Mutual of Omaha Pan Pacific Championships.

Lawrence was chosen for the team after winning the 200 breast stroke in the "B" final at the Pan Pacifics.

She set an Auburn record with a time of 2:25.19.

"I was really excited, actually," said Lawrence. "I'd never really made a senior-level national team."

Lawrence made the junior team in 2007, and Klein was selected for his competition in the 200 breast stroke at the national meet in August.

He finished with a time of 2:13:05.

"It was kind of a surprise," Klein said. "I didn't think I was going to make it."

Gangloff earned his spot after finishing third in the 100 breast stroke at the Pan Pacifics.

McGill was chosen for finishing second in the 100 fly at the Pan Pacifics.

Shanteau was selected based on his performance in the 100 and 200 meter breast stroke and the 200 individual medley.

Emily Bos was chosen for her performance in the 100 backstroke.

Hawke said the next step is to train for the World Championship.

Share and discuss “Nothing Meaner than a wet cat” on social media.