Winning makes tickets pricey

After the win against LSU Saturday, Auburn's rankings in the polls are not the only thing going up. Auburn Football ticket prices are also sky rocketing to as high as more than $1,000.

On websites such as Stub Hub, Ticket Luck and Facebook Marketplace, prices for tickets are continuing to climb.

With four games remaining in Auburn's regular season play student tickets, specifically, are becoming harder to come across.

"On Facebook Marketplace there are usually pages and pages of options of people selling their tickets for pretty cheap, but lately there are not a lot of options to pick from," said Amanda Bennett, sophomore in public relations.

General admission tickets are also hard to come by and exceeding the expectations of the university ticket office.

"The first game, we still had tickets for sale, and as we continued to win--obviously Clemson being a bigger nonconference game\0xAD--we sold that out because of it being a bigger game," said Chris Condit, Auburn's coordinator of event ticketing.

The ticket office did not anticipate selling out of tickets for the South Carolina and Arkansas games, but they did.

"Obviously, with the way the season has played out more and more people are buying tickets," Condit said .

Away game student tickets are also in high demand, such as the Iron Bowl, which will be played in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Students are purchasing Bama student tickets for cheaper prices.

Joshua Brinkerhoff, junior in mechanical engineering, is hoping to purchase a ticket through his brother who is a University of Alabama student.

"I would be willing to pay $100 for an Iron Bowl ticket," he said. "With my brother being at Alabama, it'd be easier to get a cheap ticket than getting one from an Auburn student."

Students who purchased season tickets from the University for $110 are considered lucky to Brittney Hanvey, junior in business, who was unable to get them.

"Because I did not get tickets online I found someone who was selling their whole season for $200," said Hanvey. ""I feel like $200 was a good price going into the season not knowing what to expect. Seeing how good we've done this year and getting to go to all the games has really proven that it was definitely worth the money."

For a whole season, $200 is a steal, seeing as single-game tickets are selling for upwards of $100.

Even the non-SEC game against UT Chattanooga student ticket is selling for no less than $40 on Facebook Marketplace.

"I think it's a good thing that tickets are going up," said Matt Snow, a junior in building science.

This feeling is not shared by all students though.

Some students, such as Sarah Brackin, a sophomore in nursing, thinks the rise of ticket prices creates a nongenuine fan base.

"I don't think they should go up just because we're good," Brackin said. "It just encourages people to be bandwagon fans and only come because we're winning."

The trend of high priced student tickets is also true for general admission tickets.

General admission tickets, $65 at face value, are being sold for as much as $1,892 on Stub Hub, prices varying depending on the seats.

The highest priced ticket is $1,100 for the Georgia game.

Students such as Snow and Brinkerhoff said they would not pay that much for a football ticket.

"People who buy student tickets for that have too much money," Brinkerhoff said.

"I probably would pay $250 max for a student ticket," Snow said. "I would pay more to sit in the student section as opposed to general admissions. It's more exciting."

The demand for tickets can be attributed to the success of the team, and the fans desire to help the team continue to win.

"Being in the electric atmosphere hearing 87,000 people cheering for something that you are apart of is unreal the bonding experience of knowing your there with your classmates cheering them on, just knowing you are a part of the success is totally worth it," Bennett said. "I just feel sad for those for those who sold their tickets early."

Share and discuss “Winning makes tickets pricey” on social media.