COSAM Dean killed in pedestrian accident

WOOTEN
WOOTEN

Marie Wooten, dean of the College of Sciences and Mathematics, was struck and killed as she was jogging near the intersection of South Donahue Avenue and South College Street at approximately 5:45 a.m., according to Deedie Dowdle, executive director of communications and marketing.

Opelika resident Frankie Bell was jogging with Wooten and was also struck, said Chief Tommy Dawson of the Auburn Police Department.

"We do know she has some broken bones and some serious injuries, but we don't think they're life threatening at this point," Dawson said.

Bell was airlifted to Columbus Regional Hospital.

The two women were jogging along South Donahue Avenue headed north toward campus. They were struck as they crossed South College Street, Dawson said.

"Right now we're still in an investigative stage," Dawson said. "The case will definitely be presented to a Lee County grand jury at some point in the future, but we're still looking into it, and we can't really speak as to the cause of the accident."

Wooten began her tenure as dean of COSAM in August and has been an Auburn faculty member since 1987.

Passionate about research and student training, Wooten cofounded the Institute for Women in Sciences and Engineering.

During her time at Auburn, external funding secured by COSAM has doubled over a 10-year period.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the University family today," Dawson said. "It's a tragic accident, especially for someone who meant so much to the University as Dean Wooten."

Share and discuss “COSAM Dean killed in pedestrian accident” on social media.