Auburn leads South Carolina at halftime

Auburn's Cam Newton scores in the first half of the SEC Championship Game. (Todd Van Emst / Auburn Media Relations)

Auburn finds itself in a position it hasn't been in too often this season, going into halftime with a 28-14 lead.

The Tigers shot out of the gates when junior quarterback Cameron Newton threw to junior wide receiver Darvin Adams for 61 yards on the first play of the game.

Two plays later Newton found sophomore running back Onterio McCalebb wide open for the touchdown, taking a 7-0 lead with 13.20 left in the first quarter, making it the second fastest score in Southeastern Conference Championship history.

Steven Garcia and the Gamecocks answered, driving 75 yards in 3:27 to tie the game at seven after Garcia found senior tight end Patrick DiMarco for a 25 yard touchdown, marking the second time in SEC championship history that both teams scored on their opening drives.

Auburn regained the lead after driving 74 yards in 12 plays capped off by a 5-yard Newton touchdown run.

Newton then found Adams along the sideline for a 54-yard touchdown pass just minutes later, taking a 21-7 lead with 2:09left in the first quarter.

South Carolina cut the lead to 21-14 after Garcia completed a 1-yard pass to sophomore wide receiver Alshon Jeffery for a touchdown with 16 seconds remaining in the half.

As time expired, Newton once again found Adams, this time for a 51-yard touchdown. Newton rushed for 37 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries while completing 13-22 passes for 281 yards and three touchdowns.

Newton's four total touchdowns at the half are tied for second most in an SEC Championship game while his 281 passing yards are the most in the championship game since former Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell threw for 374 yards in 2004.

Darvin Adams finished the first half with seven catches for 217 yards and two touchdowns, already setting an SEC Championship game record for receiving yards.

Share and discuss “Auburn leads South Carolina at halftime” on social media.