Back in the saddle again

Although they’ve achieved a No. 2 ranking, Auburn’s equestrian team hasn’t rested on its laurels.
With half of its season underway and a 7-2 record under its belt, the team is looking forward to getting back on the field this semester starting with a match against Tennessee-Martin (2-3) Jan. 28.
Paige Monfore, senior in biomedical sciences, said breaks in school and training can be tough or great, depending on how you look at them.
“Over the break, the best thing to do is to ride for fun and enjoy your hobby,” Monfore said.
Coach Greg Williams’ advice to them was simple: relax.
“I basically just told them to recharge and stay mentally sharp,” Williams said. “I wanted them to ride on some tough horses that would keep them on their toes.”
One of the best advantages of being part of a sport that has a break in the middle of the season is being able to ride horses and practice outside the familiar college arena for a significant period of time, Williams said.
A semester’s worth of riding can be tough on the riders’ bodies and can affect their mentality during meets.
“I just wanted to make sure my body wouldn’t fall apart when I came back this semester,” Monfore said. “I decided to keep a clear mind and ride horses I enjoy riding, but don’t get to that often.”
Piper Donnelly, freshman, spent the break working out and riding in her hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio.
“I worked out four times a week and rode every day,” Donnelly said.
The team is looking forward to getting back to action in the meet against Tennessee-Martin.
“It’s on the road with unfamiliar horses,” Williams said. “But that gives us good experience, and we’re pretty confident we’ll be coming away with a win.”
Seven new riders joined the Auburn team during the fall signing period during winter break.
Monfore felt responsible as a senior for making sure the new riders felt welcome to the team.
“We tried to show them the ropes as well as we could,” Monfore said. “It can be a little overwhelming when there are 20 riders competing in two hours. It’s very fast-paced.”
Monfore said she has supported her new teammates in more ways than just helping with their technical skills.
“It’s important to set examples and stay positive no matter what,” she said. “I’m always trying to be encouraging and keep everyone focused on what’s important.”
Donnelly has used her experience as a freshman to support the new riders as well.
“We got to meet them during their recruiting visit and had dinner with them,” Donnelly said. “We hung out with them, and they became part of our little group. We just want to make it an easy transition.”
The team’s greatest victory last semester was defeating its biggest rival, the Georgia Bulldogs, Nov. 12.
The team will face Georgia again Feb. 12 in Bishop, Ga.
Donnelly said the match will be the team’s toughest competition this semester, but it won’t be the only tough test.
“We’ve got South Carolina coming up in February, and they have a really good program,” she said.
The team has four more matches on the schedule before the postseason begins in late March.

Share and discuss “Back in the saddle again” on social media.