Here's something you can recycle

In the national movement to become a more sustainable country, recycling is at the forefront.

The city of Auburn and Auburn University are doing their part to reduce, reuse and recycle\0xAD--the three Rs of being eco-friendly.

Established in 2005, the Auburn Recycling Program has worked under the Auburn University Facilities Division and the Sustainability Initiative to make on-campus recycling simple and effective.

"Our mission is to encourage and expand recycling, waste diversion and reuse programs and promote efforts to decrease the amount of waste produced on campus in order to reduce the amount of waste in the local landfill," said recycling coordinator Leigh Jacobsen.

The amount of recycling on campus has increased substantially in the past five years.

"Our first year, 2005, we collected 135 tons of recycling," Jacobsen said. "In 2010, we collected 607 tons."

Part of the success comes from the recycling bins placed around campus.

One bin students have seen, but probably don't know the name for, is the slim-jim bin trio.

"A slim-jim bin trio includes one bin each for trash, mixed paper and co-mingled plastic bottles, aluminum and tin cans," Jacobsen said.

Another reason for success is the implementation of the Dining Hall Recycling Program.

"Kitchen staff got involved by recycling steel food containers and plastic jugs and buckets," Jacobsen said. "The Student Center and West Campus Dining also have cardboard balers where the kitchen and custodial staff recycles all cardboard boxes."

Auburn's work on campus to be more sustainable has not gone unnoticed.

"Auburn University did make The Princeton Green Schools Guide last year, which features green colleges," said Jennifer Morse, technician in the Office of Sustainability.

Auburn scored a "B" overall, according to the College Sustainability Report Card.

"Recycling plays a part in both of those rating systems," Morse said.

Along with a drop-off center on North Donahue, the city of Auburn has a curbside service for picking up everyday recycling items like cardboard and cans.

Special arrangements can be made for bigger items.

"If you make an appointment with us, you can drop off computers, PDAs and gaming consoles," said Andre Richardson, Auburn's division manager of recycling.

During the spring, a certain day is set aside for recycling household items.

"Also, in the spring there is a special day for household hazardous waste collection where we collect herbicides, pesticides, insecticides and household cleaners," Richardson said.

Share and discuss “Here's something you can recycle” on social media.