New Village eatery invites patrons to 'slam it up'

Thomas Stewart, freshman in engineering, and Cady Hobson, freshman in pre-civil engineering, eat dinner at Denny's. (Christen Harned / Assistant Photo Editor)

The newest addition to the Auburn dining experience, Denny's has reached its expectations of being a huge hit.

Denny's offers breakfast, lunch and dinner all day and most of the night.

"The thing we look for most when opening a new dining facility at Auburn is the needs of the students," said Tom Callahan, resident district manager. "We've heard from many students that they would like a good breakfast before class and after."

Kareta Purnell, director of retail and operations for the Village, said it is too early to tell students' opinion of the newest addition to Village dining.

"Right now we're getting positive feedback from sales, but we'll really see how popular this place is when it's not the newest thing on campus," Purnell said.

The newest dining facilities on campus tend to raise the most attention within their first few weeks of business.

Sophomore in secondary education Jaclyn Waitz has been at Auburn University for two years and has had the pleasure of living next to both the student center and Village dining, eating in these dining halls for most of her meals.

"It's so convenient," Waitz said. "I've told at least four people to eat there once I saw that they were building a Denny's right by our dorms."

Behind the counter, skillets are popping, burgers are flipping and the employees are in a rush to serve the hungry lunch crowd.

Denny's popular burgers are often ordered by customers, but the Denny's famous Grand Slam is the menu choice favorite.

This breakfast option--a combination of pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon--is the most popular product on the Denny's menu at the Village dining hall.

While some students choose to order their food and head back to their dorms, most students choose a table at the Village dining hall for a sit-down meal.

Gina Groome, marketing manager for Tiger Dining, said students were thrilled to have a venue option that provided them with a breakfast menu all day.

"Anytime we have a chance to do something better for the students, we definitely want to jump on that and do everything we can," Groome said. "The big driver was because students wanted it."

Free wireless internet is available inside the restaurant, which features more than 25 menu items, all customizable, including veggie patties substitutable in all burger options.

Share and discuss “New Village eatery invites patrons to 'slam it up'” on social media.