Women's basketball increases home win streak to five

Auburn's Alli Smalley lays in a basket around LSU's Taylor Turnbow in the first half. Auburn won 65-53. (Todd Van Emst / Auburn Media Relations)

The women's basketball team defeated the LSU Lady Tigers at home Sunday increasing their record to 11-7 (4-1 SEC).

Auburn battled with LSU the first 15 minutes of the game with six different lead changes, but steadily increased the scoring margin. Alli Smalley entered the top-10 career-scoring list at Auburn after scoring a layup with 3:42 left in the first. The Tigers went up by 11 and ended the first half leading LSU 21-32.

Blanche Alverson opened the second half with a 3-pointer, keeping Auburn ahead for the rest of the night. Auburn won the game 53-65.

"It was a great win," said Auburn forward Jordan Greenleaf. "It was another boost of confidence that we needed heading to Mississippi State on Thursday. We played probably the best defense we have played all year, knocked down some shots and came out with a 'W.'"

Auburn will travel to Mississippi State on Thursday to play their first away game this month at 7 p.m. "We seem to be getting better and better every game," Auburn head coach Nell Fortner said. "We're maturing into a pretty good defensive team."

Share and discuss “Women's basketball increases home win streak to five” on social media.