Civil rights and equality still issues for Dowdell

DOWDELL
DOWDELL

For almost 30 years, Auburn Councilman Arthur L. Dowdell has tried to make a difference in the community as a civil rights leader.

As he sits down at the Ralph B. Draughon Library, Bishop Dowdell (as he is known to his friends), simply smiles.

"I love everybody," Dowdell said as his hands adjust the cross worn around his neck and glide across the pinstripes in his suit, coming to rest gently folded in his lap.

"But when you see my fight it will seem that Bishop fought and will look like he's racist," Dowdell said. "I don't have a racist bone in me, but when I see wrong I have to challenge it."

Recently, Dowdell set out to challenge the city again as he brought a list of 10 points to the attention of the City Council, including the need for more racially diverse representation on the Council. While the issues Dowdell discussed ranged from better housing to equal pay for University employees, each point acknowledges a degree of racial imbalance and to change what Dowdell refers to as the "good ol' boy" system the city employs.

One problem Dowdell said he sees is a need for more minorities to be employed by the city. Dowdell discussed the problem of proposing legislation that he is unable to get through the Council because of the racial difference. On issues from the appointment of judges to the employment and promotion of police, firefighters and teachers, Dowdell said the city needs to be balanced, and the Council needs to have the opportunity to look over the city's decisions. He said the city should be required to present the Council with a full report cataloguing a candidate's education, background check and full list of experience before they can be considered.

Dowdell added there needs to be better records to show that nationwide searches were done.

"We can come together and challenge them in brotherhood, or we can challenge them in court," Dowdell said.

City manager Charles Duggan said the city has nothing to hide.

"I think that we have a good relationship with the city in that we treat everyone equally and fairly," Duggan said. "Race does not come into play regarding jobs, and we feel good about the city's non-discrimination policy."

John Andrew Harris, member of the Lee County Commission and Dowdell's friend, said these are concerns for the city, but the goal should be to progress by reducing crime, increasing education and working together.

"I believe in diversity--it's good for the whole community and breeds a better community," Harris said. "We need to come together. If not, you have a community that doesn't understand what they are lacking."

On the topic of firefighters, Duggan said it is hard to find more qualified candidates within the city other than the students who have been through the city's training program, which offers assistance with living and tuition expenses in exchange for being volunteer firefighters. Duggan said that the program has attracted many people over the years, but not many have been minorities. However, through promotion of the program at local high schools, Duggan said they are seeing more interest from minorities.

As for the University, one of Dowdell's greatest concerns is the difference in pay between the city and the University. Dowdell said he sees a problem with University employees who have worked for years and are unable to obtain wages that fit their experience and dedication. Specifically, Dowdell mentioned his son, who has worked at the University for 10 years and currently makes $10 an hour. Dowdell said this has been a problem for many years and is cause for concern when people cannot live and retire comfortably.

Auburn University director of employee relations Linda Maxwell-Evans and Duggan said they have not heard any complaints of this nature, but it does not mean they do not exist.

"To my knowledge there are no outstanding complaints that have not been addressed," said Lynne Hammond, assistant vice president for human resources at Auburn University. "If anyone comes forward, we want to take care of them."

Hammond added that previous issues with Dowdell and the University were resolved, and they feel their wages are competitive with those around the city.

Originally from Auburn, Dowdell moved back to Auburn from Detroit in 1993 after serving in the U.S. Army, elected to the City Council in 1994. However, in the time he served over the years, Dowdell has not been without controversy.

In 2009, Dowdell removed confederate flags from a public cemetery in Auburn, which were placed on graves by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in remembrance of Confederate Memorial day. He later apologized to the Daughters of the Confederacy, but said he makes no other apology.

"It's treason as far as I'm concerned," Dowdell said. "That flag should be flown at a memorial, it can be flown at your house, on your car and you can even wear it on your back. I have no problem with that, but when you bring a flag to a public cemetery I got a problem as a city councilman and a sworn officer of the Constitution."

Dowdell said some of the flags were hung for over six months and he did not feel right about the racist undertones he said they emblemize.

"It represented to us racism. It represented to us beating our women and raping our daughters. It represented to us nooses around our people's necks," Dowdell said. "If I had my way I would burn that flag and I would stomp that flag, because we stand up every day and pledge the American flag which is one nation. That flag represents two nations and I'm against it."

Never appearing angry, Dowdell presented the issues he and his constituents in Northwest Auburn and across Lee County feel need to be addressed. Many of these points describe a degree of racism, which he believes still exists in the South and within the city of Auburn.

Dowdell said much of the black population in Auburn feel like they have been pushed out into the northwest area. In presenting this, Dowdell said while Opelika continues to grow in black population, he's seen little growth in Auburn. Dowdell said the city is intentionally not building in Northwest Auburn, while they have continued to relocate people in order to build more housing for students.

"There are some things in Auburn that need to be changed," Dowdell said. "Northwest Auburn is the most undeveloped section of Auburn, and it's hard for minorities and poor to find a sufficient place to live."

While hiring racially diverse teachers is a goal for Dowdell, he holds education as a priority and would like to see a school built in his ward. He wants a school there to show people they don't have to be intimated when they drive through Ward 1.

Harris disagreed with Dowdell.

"A school needs to be based in a central location, and wherever it is, is not a concern to me as long as it's a good facility and delivers a great education," Harris said.

No matter the disagreement, Dowdell said he wants people to know that he loves the city and the University.

"What makes me so happy about the students now is that they're young and they don't see color. They don't want to see racism, they just want to see life better for Auburn," Dowdell said.

However, Dowdell has not been able to get rid of all of his concerns as he is troubled by the image Auburn University projects on the football field--an image of diversity, and yet the school remains primarily white. Dowdell is concerned for the athletes' education and would like to see all minorities enrolled get equal treatment and opportunities.

"I don't know how long I'm going to live," Dowdell said. "I've had a massive heart attack and come back, but the one thing I do know is that when the Lord calls me home I hope someone will say that they know Bishop A. L. Dowdell tried to do the right thing, and tried to make a difference."

Share and discuss “Civil rights and equality still issues for Dowdell” on social media.