Cooking class celebrates Valentine's Day

Executive Chef's Kitchen will be hosting a free cooking class Feb. 17, teaching all who attend how to cook up some delicious Valentine's treats.

The class will begin at 6 p.m. at Terrell Dining Hall on the Hill and will be hosted by executive chef Dennis Neuhring.

Executive Chef's Kitchen offers free cooking classes once a month, and generally one chef is featured at each of the classes, said Gina Groome, Tiger Dining marketing manager.

"We try to switch up themes a lot and come up with any new ideas, like holidays or anything else going on," Groome said.

This month's cooking class theme is Valentine's sweets.

Most of Neuhring's classes tend to be dessert-oriented, and this month's featured sweet will be a red velvet brownie.

Neuhring will probably have a few other dessert ideas up his sleeve as well, Groome said.

No cooking experience is needed to attend the 30-minute class, Neuhring said.

"Usually the classes are hands-on, but because of the popularity for this class, it's just going to be a demonstration style," Neuhring said.

Neuhring explained that it is more effective to teach demonstration-style classes when there is a larger number of attendees because not everyone can use the cooking equipment all at one time.

"We'll have some samples, so everybody gets to eat, and that's the best part," Neuhring said.

During a demonstration-style class, the chef stands in front of the class and cooks while the participants observe and take notes.

Neuhring has previously hosted a hands-on truffles class as well as a creme brulee class, where the students learned to use a blow torch and formed their own scorched sugar crust, he said.

Katelyn Ward, junior in human development and family studies, has attended an Executive Chef's Kitchen cooking class before, and said she is also planning on attending the Valentine's cooking class.

"I really enjoyed the last cooking class that I went to, so I'm definitely looking forward to attending this month's class," Ward said. "The Valentine's theme is such a great idea for February's cooking class."

The Valentine's cooking class will be held in Terrell Dining Hall because of the convenient number of parking spots available around the building and the sufficient space inside of Terrell, Groome said.

Sign-ups are available online through both Facebook and the Tiger Dining website, www.auburn.edu/dining.

"Tiger Dining has created an event on Facebook, and then we are posting the link to a survey that's set up on the Facebook wall of the event. You can just go straight to the Facebook page and sign up," Groome said. "Or people can go to our website and we have links there under our event page."

Groome stressed the importance of signing up quickly to reserve a spot since space is limited.

Neuhring said he is looking forward to teaching February's Valentine-themed cooking class and is excited about the expected high attendance for this class.

Share and discuss “Cooking class celebrates Valentine's Day” on social media.