Daddy, may I have this dance?

A father thrills his daughter by lifting her in the air at Daddy-Daughter Date Night Saturday. (Rebekah Weaver / Assistant Photo Editor)

Couples dressed to impress gathered at the Lexington Hotel on College Street for a night of dining and dancing; however, more noticeable than the elaborate dresses was the significant height difference in the pairs.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday were sold- out nights for Auburn Parks and Recreation's 22nd annual Daddy-Daughter Date Night.

Jim Perry has been deployed in Bahrain for six months and took a two-week leave to return home for a date night with his 10-year-old daughter, Rachel.

The couple has attended the event every year since 2005.

Rachel, a fifth grader at Sanford Middle School in Opelika, said she was jumping up and down with excitement when her dad surprised her by picking her up at school that day.

"My favorite part is being with my dad, and he's fun to dance with," Rachel said.

Of all the activities at the date night, the culmination of the evening is the dancing contest, said Alison Hall, community programs director and organizer of the event.

"The dads will take off their jackets and ties--this contest is serious," Hall said. "Sometimes I think the dads will have a heart attack."

Hala Buckhalt, 13, a seventh grader from Drake Middle School in Auburn, and father Joe, 2007 dance contest winners, were also in attendance.

Joe said the pair always enjoys attending the event, and he said he has fond memories of the year they won the dance contest.

"We did a lot of spinning and somehow I found surges of adrenaline and threw her up in the air," he said.

A total of 1,365 people attended the event, Hall said.

The theme for this year's Date Night was candy, and there was certainly no shortage in quantity or variety.

Guests were treated to a candy bar consisting of M&Ms, candy corn, Skittles, gummy bears, Sour Punch straws, Hershey's Kisses, Sweet Tarts and peppermints, as well as Gigi's cupcakes.

Valentine's candy decorations adorned the walls, tables and ceilings.

Dinner from Chick-fil-A on Magnolia Avenue, goody bags and numerous door prizes were also provided.

Dinner was served downstairs, with the upstairs of the hotel ballroom being reserved for dancing to music from DJ Ozz.

The DJ played favorites such as the "Hokey Pokey," Miley Cyrus and Taio Cruz.

However, it was Justin Bieber's song "Baby" that received the most enthusiastic screams of approval.

Other features of the event included a professional photographer and coupons for other events around town to encourage dads and daughters to have more nights together throughout the year.

Share and discuss “Daddy, may I have this dance?” on social media.