Equestrian saddles up for South Carolina

After a loss to the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday, the Auburn equestrian team will take on South Carolina this weekend.

During the Georgia meet, Auburn came back to an 8-7 lead following the horsemanship event, after being down by two points.

The Tigers lost that lead during the reining event, though, and Georgia pulled out the win with a final score of 11-9.

Auburn will face the South Carolina Gamecocks Saturday at home at 10 a.m.

"We have lost to South Carolina the last two times at home, but we do not want that to happen again this weekend," said Anna Schierholz, senior hunt seat rider. "We have a lot of seniors and four- year starters so we hope to go out with a bang."

Sixth-ranked South Carolina faced third-ranked Georgia Feb. 5.

The meet was tied going into the last event, but the Gamecocks pulled out a comeback win with a final score of 10-9.

South Carolina's Western riders were key in the victory against Georgia.

At the end of the meet, the Western riders in both the reining and horsemanship event came out undefeated.

"South Carolina has swapped back and forth between which team is the strongest, Western or English," said Greg Williams, Auburn equestrian coach, "but recently their Western team has been stronger, which could be a challenge for us, but I am confident in the team and how they have been riding."

Home meets are easier because the riders are more familiar with the horses they ride, Williams said.

At away meets, every rider is required to ride the home team's horses.

Williams also said he was very proud of the way the athletes rode at the Georgia meet, and this week of practice will be focused on staying unified and upbeat.

If Auburn wins the meet against South Carolina Saturday, they will hold the best record in the SEC and will enter the postseason in the first-seed position.

To prepare for the South Carolina meet, the team will focus on fixing small mistakes.

"We will review the videos of the Georgia meet, and fix every little detail," Schierholz said.

The SEC teams will always come in strong and be tough to compete with, Schierholz said.

Williams said after a hard week of practice, the Tigers hope to be in the right state of mind to take on South Carolina at home.

Along with being the equestrian team's senior meet, there will also be a tailgating competition and other activities for children.

Admission is free.

Share and discuss “Equestrian saddles up for South Carolina” on social media.