Europe, Asia reel in Americans with entertainment culture

Popular entertainment in America consists of movies with warm, fuzzy endings, country and rap music and singers that make billboard.com's Hot 100 list.

Other countries have different standards for what is popular in music and movies.

Lourdes Batanzos, professor of Spanish and Latin American theatre, said about Spanish movies, "Drama is particularly popular, especially relating to social issues and political issues."

With the Oscars coming up soon, Batanzos mentioned Spain has a similar awards show known as Premios Goya.

The Goya award is "the equivalent of an Oscar in Spain," Batanzos said.

Germany also has an Oscar-esque Ceremony called Berlinale, an International Film Festival that takes place in Berlin every year.

"The bear is the icon of Berlin, so the trophies are a golden bear or a silver bear," said Traci O'Brien, German professor.

"Das Leben der Anderen," or "The Lives of Others," is a German film that crossed into American culture when it received the Oscar for Best Foreign Film in 2007.

China's films, on the other hand, have typically not been recognized in America.

Qing Wang, a GTA from Shandong Province in China, said the main difference between American and Chinese movies is that, "in China, we don't spend so much money to create a movie."

The most famous movie in China this year, Wang said, was "Rang Zidan Fei," or "Let the Bullets Fly," which made 9 million U.S. dollars in the Chinese box office.

"The most famous movies this year are all action movies," Wang said.

Some of the most well-known Chinese celebrities are singers as well as actors, Wang said. Zhou Jie Lun, who played Seth Rogan's sidekick in the recent American film "Green Hornet," is a famous actor, singer and musician in China.

Many German bands are popular in America, such as pop rock band Tokio Hotel and rock band Rammstein.

"Everybody knows Ram-mstein," O'Brien said. "They just had a concert in Madison Square Garden in New York in December, and it was sold out."

Spain and Latin America both have musical genres that aren't hugely popular in America. Salsa and reggeaton, for instance, are both native to Latin America.

"Reggeaton is a mix of hip hop and reggae and Latin music," Batanzos said.

Batanzos said rap is also popular in Latin America and Spain, although it is more mainstream.

With the success of those few foreign entertainers, European and Asian entertainment is already becoming popular in America.

Share and discuss “Europe, Asia reel in Americans with entertainment culture” on social media.