Freshman receives money for music

Will Boswell can do it all. He sings, writes songs, plays the guitar and piano and recently just took up the Irish penny whistle.

One of Boswell's strategies in becoming a better musician is to never miss an opportunity to perform, and at the University Program Council's songwriting contest Feb. 8, his first place award proved that.

Boswell, freshman in nursing, won for his performance of a song he wrote titled "Every Little Thing."

When it comes to performing, nerves have no place on stage with Boswell. Instead of becoming petrified, he said he just lets the music take control.

"I try not to make my performance set in stone," Boswell said. "I do parts of it on the fly because I feel like it shows the audience more of the music inside of me and shows the soul of the song."

Boswell said he has been singing for as long as he can remember, but publicly for about six years. He began writing raps in middle school, "just throwing together words that rhymed," and then started writing his own songs once he entered high school, he said.

Among the sixteen talented musicians who entered the UPC songwriting contest, Boswell came away with a $150 check in addition to his first place recognition.

The contestants were judged on the quality of lyrics and music, the artistic merit, expression of song, creativity, uniqueness and overall entertainment value," said Samara Dudley, UPC's assistant fine arts director and junior in biomedical science/pre-optometry.

Boswell's performance made a lasting impression not only on the judges, but members of the UPC committee as well.

"Will's performance stuck out to me because his voice was really unique," said Lauren Mackey, junior in health administration and UPC fine arts committee member. "Just by watching him perform, I could tell that he felt what he sang, and I know the audience felt his emotions as well."

Boswell claims a variety of inspirations for his songs, including love and other personal experiences.

"Ideas will come randomly, and I save them in my phone, and then when I'm in a writing mood, I'll go back and elaborate into music," Boswell said.

Boswell said music is constantly running through his mind, whether it is on the Tiger Transit, falling asleep, in the shower or walking to class. As for a future in music, Boswell said he would love to make a living solely off writing and producing his own work.

"Whether it's a Christmas party at a local nursing home or a gig at the Alabama Theatre, I do my best to be at it singing because you never know who's out there listening," Boswell said.

Boswell said his ideal future would be living and working in Nashville, singing and writing music with his longtime friend James Thompson. The duo started writing music together in high school and continue to play together and record music.

"Sometimes, he will have an idea, and he will record it and send it to me via e-mail, and I'll add to it and send it back to him and vice versa," Boswell said.

As of now, Boswell said he looks forward to continuing to produce his own work as well as participating with the men's chorus chamber choir. He sings second tenor in both choruses.

Boswell has been in chorus classes since his sophomore year of high school. He said being in chorus hasn't helped in his songwriting because he is more influenced by popular music, although he did say it has helped him improve his voice. Boswell said he pays more attention to his vocal production.

"I have a higher range," Boswell said. "It's going to strengthen your voice if you're singing every day."

Share and discuss “Freshman receives money for music” on social media.