Local Egyptians join protests

Mohamed Eldessouki, Ph.D. student in polymer and fiber engineering, plays with his children, Omar, 3, and Nada, 2, at the demonstration Feb. 1. Omar and Nada wave Egyptian flags. (Jillian Clair / News Editor)

Haitham Eletrabi stood in the rain on the Haley Center concourse for two hours Tuesday passing out fliers and holding a sign that said, "Mubarak, you are down, just leave."

Eletrabi, a Ph.D. student in civil engineering from Cairo, said he is supportive of the protests in Egypt calling for the end of President Hosni Mubarak's 30-year regime.

"I am proud and happy and sad at the same time," Eletrabi said. "I am proud because the people finally moved, and they are taking an action against the current regime, but I'm sad because of the people who died during this process, but I guess this is necessary. After 30 years of ruling, I don't think there is a more peaceful way of transition since (Mubarak) doesn't want to give up."

Approximately 30 others gathered with Eletrabi Tuesday at a rally they called the "Demonstration to Support the Egyptian People."

The multinational group stood on the concourse under umbrellas and a tent, holding handmade signs and striking up conversations with students about the conflict in Egypt.

The group sought to raise awareness and support for the people of Egypt.

"We're trying to show people what's going on," said Amr Abdelrehiem, first year pharmacy student from Alexandria, Egypt. "We're trying to tell people how Mubarak is. We're trying to support the Egyptian people--they've been awake for almost a week now, out on the streets. They're really tired, exhausted, but they don't give up until Mubarak leaves."

The group claims that Mubarak is a dictator who has driven his people into poverty and rigged elections to remain in office.

"His party pretty much represents 90 percent of the whole senate," Abdelrehiem said. "He's not listening."

Eletrabi and Abdelrehiem have family and friends in Egypt and have been able to contact them by phone despite the loss of Internet.

"They cannot Tweet or go to any news or organize any peaceful demonstration on the Facebook," Eletrabi said.

Eletrabi said there are groups of Egyptians all over the world gathering to show their support for their people.

"I wish I was there, but I'm still glad I'm here supporting them in my own way," Eletrabi said. "And there are lots of people coming to support us, and we are spreading the word--people not only from Egypt, but the majority of people actually around here today are not Egyptians."

People from Arab countries, Europe and the U.S. participated in the demonstration.

Asmae Mesbahi, Ph.D. student in computer science from Casablanca, Morocco, held a sign aimed at Mubarak that said, "Go out" in five different languages.

"I am supporting what's happening in Egypt," Mesbahi said. "I'm supporting Egyptian people. They have the right to live in democracy and freedom."

Mesbahi said she hopes her participation in the demonstration will send a symbolic message of support to Egyptians.

"I hope that finally the Egyptian people will be able to rule themselves by themselves and not by dictators," Mesbahi said.

The protests in Egypt began Jan. 25, and according to The Los Angeles Times, the death toll has since risen to more than 300.

Tuesday, Mubarak announced he would not run for re-election in September.

Reuters reported President Barack Obama spoke with Mubarak after the announcement and said an orderly transition of power must begin immediately, contrary to Mubarak's plan to remain in office for six more months.

Another demonstration at Toomer's Corner is planned for Feb. 5 from 2:30 p.m. to 5: 30 p.m.

There is a Facebook event for the demonstration called "Auburn's Stand in Solidarity."

Marwa Farag, freshman in electrical engineering from El Mansoura, Egypt, said she anticipates Saturday's protest will be larger.

"I think we're planning to have possibly more slogans going on, larger posters--we have more people that said they are attending, so we're really expecting a lot of people," Farag said.

Farag said she isn't getting her hopes up about Mubarak's promise to leave in September.

"Honestly, a lot of the Egyptian people, including myself--he's promised us too much already, he promises and he never keeps his promise, he never fulfills his promise--it's been 30 years," Farag said. "It's gotten to the point to where we just can't trust him anymore, even if he really is going to change. We've just been in an abusive relationship."

Eletrabi said he is still optimistic about the future of Egypt.

"I think once the current regime leaves, we're gonna have free elections," Eletrabi said. "That's the whole idea of democracy."

Share and discuss “Local Egyptians join protests” on social media.