Miss Auburn University crown passes at pageant

Emilee Williams is crowned 2011 Miss Auburn University at Friday night's pageant at the Student Activities Center. (Emily Adams / Photo Editor)

First time's a charm.

Emilee Williams, junior in civil engineering, had never competed in a pageant until Friday night.

At the end of the three-hour competition, Williams took home the crown.

"I tried to search within myself for who I truly was and the experiences that brought me to this point in my life," Williams said.

Williams is from Athens, Ala., and said she plans to use her year as Miss Auburn University to promote her platform, "Food for Thought: Domestic Hunger Awareness."

"I am so passionate about my platform," Williams said. "We have so much support in the Auburn community here. To me this platform holds so much promise."

Williams said when she was in high school, she volunteered at a local food bank. While filing paperwork for people in need, she spotted names of two of her fellow classmates.

"I had no idea how prevalent a problem domestic hunger was before then," Williams said.

Williams said she wants to get those in need of assistance involved and aware of safety-net programs so they can fight domestic hunger.

Miss Auburn University makes about 100 appearances at community events during her yearlong term, said Michelle Murphy, pageant adviser.

"She promotes both her personal platform as well as Children's Miracle Network, the national platform of the Miss America program," Murphy said. "By serving others and bring awareness to important causes, she can have a big impact on campus and in the community."

The Miss AU pageant serves as a preliminary round for the Miss Alabama pageant, currently scheduled for the second week in June.

"I expect and hope to learn so much from this experience," Williams said. "I know that with even my first appearance as Miss Auburn University, anything I could have imagined will be shattered in comparison."

The 23 pageant contestants faced four sections--the on-stage question, swimwear, talent and evening wear.

On-stage questions covered funding for education, health care and the influence of the MTV program "Teen Mom."

Talent was worth 35 percent of the overall score, and Haley Ates placed first with her vocal rendition of "I'm Not Afraid of Anything."

Contestants also showed their talent by playing handbells and clogging.

"The best part of the Miss Auburn University pageant is the stress on a well-rounded winner," said Kindall Tucker, sophomore in communication disorders. "I think even if you aren't the type of person who would enter a pageant, you can still learn from the contestants."

Rebecca Hart, senior in communication disorders and 2010 Miss AU, was present to pass the crown to Williams.

"By letting my true self shine through and being genuine in all of my actions and words, I have achieved so much," Williams said. "This is the example I hope to set for young women."

Share and discuss “Miss Auburn University crown passes at pageant” on social media.